• 1 Post By GOF
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By GOF
  • 3 Post By Peterb
  • 1 Post By msmiller

Thread: All Spokes loose on rear rim?

All Spokes loose on rear rim?

Could all of the spokes loosen at once?
    Bike has been shimming around was thinking it was the front tire the stock ones have done that for me after they wear. Do I just tighten them slowly none are broken. But they are way loose not sure why the rim is still or me it’s been beautiful here riding everywhere everyday. Link to video of how loose it is below road it to work today won’t be riding again until this is resolved. Any advice greatly appreciated.

https://marksmiller.smugmug.com/Othe...hots/i-cG6hCzC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    admiral likes this.

Wow that is loose. Good idea not to ride as is. I’ve only ever had to tighten or loosen a few spokes to get it true. Someone here will know what to do. Lots of good YouTube videos about lacing rims and trueing. Check Rocky Mountain ATV’s videos.
    msmiller likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

GOF
    Wow! Yeah, that doesn't look right. I've never messed with spokes. Out of me wheel house as they say.
    msmiller likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by msmiller View Post
    Could all of the spokes loosen at once?
    Bike has been shimming around was thinking it was the front tire the stock ones have done that for me after they wear. Do I just tighten them slowly none are broken. But they are way loose not sure why the rim is still or me it’s been beautiful here riding everywhere everyday. Link to video of how loose it is below road it to work today won’t be riding again until this is resolved. Any advice greatly appreciated.

https://marksmiller.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/i-cG6hCzC

A few weeks ago I discovered the same problem on my stock rear tire rim. Scary part I discovered it while out riding and got a tank slapper at around 45-50 mph. Slowed down and repeated acceleration with same result...tank slapper. Rode home thinking it was rear swingarm bushings but found a whole bunch of spokes loose. Not as bad as yours though. Gosh, I hope you didn't have a tank slapper too.

I had the luxury of just swapping to a good rim, and it worked with no tank slapper. I'm gonna be watching a bunch of videos on how to true rim spokes but haven't tried it yet. I figger'd a bunch of spokes loose like yours will want me to true the wheel rather than just tighten spokes but we'll see what happens with the rim truing. Good luck with yours.
    msmiller likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    A few weeks ago I discovered the same problem on my stock rear tire rim. Scary part I discovered it while out riding and got a tank slapper at around 45-50 mph. Slowed down and repeated acceleration with same result...tank slapper. Rode home thinking it was rear swingarm bushings but found a whole bunch of spokes loose. Not as bad as yours though. Gosh, I hope you didn't have a tank slapper too.

I had the luxury of just swapping to a good rim, and it worked with no tank slapper. I'm gonna be watching a bunch of videos on how to true rim spokes but haven't tried it yet. I figger'd a bunch of spokes loose like yours will want me to true the wheel rather than just tighten spokes but we'll see what happens with the rim truing. Good luck with yours.
    Yes was getting a bad wobble but was thing it was from the stock front tire. Have rim off and inside. Broken spoke replacing it now. I’m just going to slowly tighten them back. Not a rocket scientist but this rim is like a car rim not sure how much “trueing” one can do. If it loosens up like this again will look into paying a wheel smith to rebuild it.

GOF
    I don't know man. If it was that loose and one was broken I think I'd be replacing the spokes. And paying careful attention to the attachment points.
    msmiller likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

GOF, TW-Brian and msmiller like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    That is funny unless it’s happening to you. Imagine it be really bad at speed. Next time things get wobbly I’ll be pulling over and checking. I felt it and told my self the front tire did the same thing after a while the center wears down.
    Replaced three spokes. Everything tightened up well. Going to double check it in the morning then test it out.
    With how loose it was will be keeping an eye on it before each ride.

Purple likes this.

My two cents... I wouldn't trust the rim after this. Your rim has been flexing a little all along with spokes that loose... question is how long? Usually a tell tale sign is the weld line on the rim. If it is pronounced more than your front, I'd get another (the cost of the wheel is not worth your life). If you do want to try and keep the rim, at a minimum you need to lace up new spokes, which means you should get a spoke torque wrench as well. (Tusk makes a decent priced one, and just checking with the heads for mine 6mm is too big and 5.6 too small so I'm guessing these are 5.8mm which is a size I don't have in my kit.) You'll also need the torque value for the rear wheel spokes. Start off by marking your starting point with a bit of tape or white out, just snugging up every third spoke (not just one side, count through the rim snugging up every third spoke). This rear rim is a little different because it's so wide it has two rows, but you should still alternate each row. Then go around again one spoke forward of your starting point until you've gone around and hit all of them. After they are all snugged up, begin again setting the torque on every third spoke once again. When finished, get the chain out of the way, and have someone spin the wheel while listening to the sound of something popping against the spokes on each side, the same distance from the rim. You should hear the same note. Any spoke that sounds higher or lower is tighter or looser than the rest and something needs corrected. As beefy as this rim is, and considering the dual row of spokes... I'm not even sure you could true this rim with spokes before they would start twisting up/breaking. Seems more like it would have to be done another way than spoke tension. If the spokes can true it, this rim isn't as thick as it looks from outward appearances.

Just a note from experience... If you ever try to reuse old spokes, you really need to take them off and clean the threads thoroughly if you've had them through the muck or they've built up any crud at all... otherwise your torque wrench will be useless as some will be seem tight from the gunk in the threads making the torque wrench click way before the tension is actually right on the spoke.

To make sure it's true on the bike. Use the swing arm as a reference point to the edge of the rim and spin it around making sure the distance from the swing arm to the lip of the rim on each side stays the same as you spin it around. Next you would need to find another reference point and put something along the outside edge of the rim and turn it taking note that it doesn't move left/right as it goes around.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 09-02-2019 at 10:13 PM.
    2013 TW200 "Timba Wattla"
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Sponosred Links