Anyone ever "retro" their bike after mods?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Anyone ever "retro" their bike after mods?

Anyone ever "retro" their bike after mods?

This new-to-me TW that I bought came with Bark-Busters...new bars...larger footpegs...and an FMF muffler that I'm not convinced I like too much.
    Call me crazy, but I prefer the old, soft purr that my '01 produced.
    This one seems to have been re-jetted as well, but I can't say for sure until I pull the carb (maybe this weekend) because she's been doing some funny things during warmups.

So have you ever modded/rejetted/uncorked your TW and then decided that you preferred the "old school" instead?

The thing with buying a modded bike is that you have no idea how deep or how thorough the PO was.
    By the looks of it, he (or maybe the guy before him) tried opening the airbox but it didn't work the way he thought it would, so there's Duct-tape covering a dozen small holes in the filter cover.
    I might just replace the stock exhaust, and rejet it to factory so that I have a baseline to work from.

I'll keep the BB's and footpegs....
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

I don't think you are crazy. If the exhaust did something other than save weight and make noise I would rethink it. It's nice having a bike sewing machine quite. I'm guessing the previous owner did rejet since he tried the failed air box drilling. You may want to put a better tape or do something else. Duct tape can come off. Does your bike still have the snorkel intake?
    87 TW

I recall reading that some folks that go through lots of elevation changes drill holes in the airbox. Normally they are all plugged and as you climb and the bike gets air starved, you start pulling out the plugs. Quicker than rejetting I suppose. Wonder if that’s what you got going on. Good luck with your project.

I have a couple I’m restoring that have some funky mods too.
    MtnMan75 likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TW_in_BC View Post
    This one seems to have been re-jetted as well, but I can't say for sure until I pull the carb (maybe this weekend) because she's been doing some funny things during warmups.

By the looks of it, he (or maybe the guy before him) tried opening the airbox but it didn't work the way he thought it would, so there's Duct-tape covering a dozen small holes in the filter cover.
    The holes covered with duct tape isn't that uncommon. Usually it's not done with holes unless they were really tuning it in. Usually it's a square or rectangle and you continue covering up one edge until you match your air flow to your main jet's fuel flow at WOT. Although, real estate in that area on this bike is precious so maybe that was the reason for it.
    Just a thought. If you were at all concerned and have a shop nearby that can/will do it for you, ask them to check the A/F on a dyno. You might be undoing something that does need corrected, or you may just be undoing something that perfectly matched. There's only one way to know. I'm personally of the opinion, bone stock... this bike is not tuned right at all. It is too lean across the whole throttle range and most people only seem to want to set their pilot jet right. I'm waiting on a jet kit right now that should be here Friday. I'm only going to open up the intake side first and rejet. If that solves my problem of pulling the mountains around here without it screaming and running ultra hot in 4th, I'll be good to go. If this bike were strictly off road, it would have come factory a lot richer and at least uncorked on the intake side.
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Does your bike still have the snorkel intake?
    As far as I could tell, it still has the snorkel...which is confusing. Any other bike I've had to rejet needed the snorkel removed AND the airbox cut out but this one still has the snorkel and the airbox filled in.
    Mind you, it runs well across the range so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerFlorida
    I recall reading that some folks that go through lots of elevation changes drill holes in the airbox. Normally they are all plugged and as you climb and the bike gets air starved, you start pulling out the plugs.

I did that with my XT225 and it worked well. Three 1" holes with electrical knockout fillers installed. As I climbed and she started getting anemic, I would pull one out.
    2008 TW200

Well,
    Either I must be completely blind of the TW's shortcomings in altitude or, I've got one that seems to not care what altitude it's at. We've just completed a 5 week vacation which, I rode the TW in all altitudes from where we live, in Lake Havasu City AZ at 450' to, places like Ouray CO that I was riding at 6,000-7,000'. And, at least in those altitude changes, the bike ran like a top. I'm not one that runs wide open throttle for any distance or time. The only potential exception to that is, climbing a steep hill in say, first gear, in order to make it to the top. We just finished up our trip in Williams AZ where the altitude is around 6,000' and, again, I ran it at all speeds both on and off road. It never skipped a beat. I heard no pinging or odd noises from the head etc. And, not only all that but, I was running 85 octane fuel 'cause it was available. In fact, I ran it in the '15 Jeep JKUR too and that Jeep never skipped a beat.

Now, Ouray, as some of you know, has altitudes of over 13,000' in which we ran the Jeeps in, several times. Yep, they're surely not as peppy as running around Lake Havasu at 450', that's for sure. But, I never ran the TW at that altitude so, I cannot attest as to its performance in the clouds.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

FWIW, my '01 was bone stock (as far as I know) and it would go from sea level to 5000' without missing a beat...that's what I want to use as my "baseline".
    It wasn't fast, but it would still top out at over 60 mph.
    I'll have a better idea where I'm at when I pull the carb this weekend.
    2008 TW200

Senior Member TeeDoubleUTwoHundred's Avatar
    I'd be interested in what you come up with. I plan to ride throughout BC next year. Maybe if I had gotten into bikes 20 years ago, I'd still be living there. Hell of a province to visit and live. Our American friends get ~33% extra on their dollar. You will not be disappointed. The flight into YVR, for the first time, is quite amazing.

Sorry, randomness over.
    2017 TW200 -> Hand Guards-Chain-Foot Pegs-Skid Plate-Shifter-Grips-Mirrors-Fuel Filter-Fender-Levers

Well, if you're in BC next year...you've got to try the Kettle Valley Rail trail. Fascinating bit of history, some cool tunnels, a LOT of trestles and ONE water tower.
    If your visit coincides with my time-off, I'd be glad to show you portions of it...in my corner of the Province.

Oh...and in case I forgot to mention...BC means Bring Cash...our fuel is expensive.
    2008 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Well,
    Either I must be completely blind of the TW's shortcomings in altitude or, I've got one that seems to not care what altitude it's at. I rode the TW in all altitudes from where we live, in Lake Havasu City AZ at 450' to, places like Ouray CO that I was riding at 6,000-7,000'. And, at least in those altitude changes, the bike ran like a top.

Now, Ouray, as some of you know, has altitudes of over 13,000' in which we ran the Jeeps in, several times. Yep, they're surely not as peppy as running around Lake Havasu at 450', that's for sure. But, I never ran the TW at that altitude so, I cannot attest as to its performance in the clouds.
    Scott
    Living at 8800', the TW does just fine too [I promise the stock jetting isn't too lean here] I find she gets fairly asthmatic above 11000' and pretty much useless above 12000'. I personally just make sure I don't plan any routes that go that high. I'm sure with some carb tuning it might be fine, but I just don't bother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links