Chain lube WD-40
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Chain lube WD-40

Chain lube WD-40

I can tell this isn't the best but here is my situation I live on an island most things are flown in. Aerosols won't fly, the barge company has a minimum shipment of $100. So if I wanted my Maxim chain wax it would be $100 extra to put a box on the barge. At this point I am thinking about just using WD-40 and see what happens. What are your thoughts/ experience?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Can't you buy proper chain lube in Ketchican and smuggle in in on the Inter-Island Ferry? Fishy liquid WD-40 may not be the best compared to chain saw bar oil or another available true petroleum based lubricant.
    SanDue and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

A recent video by Fortnine found ordinary gear lube was the best performing chain lube. It's also what's recommended by most chain manufacturers. The key to it not flinging off and making a mess is to apply sparingly. I brush it on with an old toothbrush, then run a rag along the chain afterward to remove excess that would have flung off. After a ride my rear wheel is still perfectly clean. I still feel the spray dry lubes (chain wax, the dupont chainsaver) are more convenient, but if aerosols are a no-no, I'd probably just use gear oil.

WD40 is OK for cleaning a chain, but it evaporates too quickly to be a good lubricant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

From the reading/research/youtube videos I have seen, which include tests stacking the top lubes/etc. against each other... the winner actually seems to be gear oil. WD40 doesn't do great, and lubes are ticker and often require more cleaning/maintenance.

This last time I cleaned my chain, I used 80w90 gear oil, and my chain has stayed looking cleaner without grit/etc. for much longer! You do want to leave it to dry over night before a ride though, otherwise you wiill definitely sling oil everywhere.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

I saw this guy on Youtube test every kind of chain lube you can think of...including WD40. After all of his torturing and beating the chains, plain old gear oil wound up beating all the high tech (and low tech) chain lubes. Just get some 80W90 of any brand. I tried it on my apollo 250 and it works great. So far on my TW I have not touched the chain. Over 1000 miles on the original chain. Does not need adjusting. I keep checking. Never oiled it.
    YamTW87 and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    A recent video by Fortnine found ordinary gear lube was the best performing chain lube. It's also what's recommended by most chain manufacturers. The key to it not flinging off and making a mess is to apply sparingly. I brush it on with an old toothbrush, then run a rag along the chain afterward to remove excess that would have flung off. After a ride my rear wheel is still perfectly clean. I still feel the spray dry lubes (chain wax, the dupont chainsaver) are more convenient, but if aerosols are a no-no, I'd probably just use gear oil.

WD40 is OK for cleaning a chain, but it evaporates too quickly to be a good lubricant.
    We must have been writing this at the exact same time! This is one of the videos I watched when figuring this out. And I can definitely attest to it thus far—at least in comparison to BlueRay lube (which is what I had always used previously).
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

WD40 is mostly kerosene...good for cleaning chains, not so much as a lubricant.
    Gear oil or chain-saw bar oil works great.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

How about synthetic gear oil?..ha!
    2004 TW200, low miles (not enough riding).
    Other 2 wheel toys; many bicycles and a honda CT90.

I wash the chain with kerosene and lube with 140 wt gear oil and do it every 400 to 450 miles and after every dirt ride.

Gear oil bought at O'Reilly's by the gallon and a gallon lasts a loooooong time!

I have heard of people using WD40 and they spray it on the chain after every ride and they claim to get good results.
    SanDue and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I use the waste oil out of my diesel truck. It's Rotella Synthetic and I use an ole steel thumb pump oil can to put it on. Like others said you have to leave it drip over night.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links