Broken spokes - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Broken spokes

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
    +1
    This was my first ever attempt at rebuilding a wheel. My advice is to get a stand off eBay, they're not too expensive, and watch plenty of YouTube videos on 'how to'
    Something I've found from even name brand ones is they are mostly Chinese made and the collars are just a hair bigger inner diameter than the rod which can throw you off and have you chasing a problem that doesn't exist. If you notice any free play (even a very small amount) between the cone shaped collars that go into the bearings and the rod, go to a machine shop and ask them to make you a rod to fit the collars, or ream the collars to fit a rod they have that is close. Only costs a few bucks most places. The BikeMaster brand one I bought had this issue and it frustrated me to no end until I figured out what was going on.
    Last edited by MtnMan75; 09-02-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    GOF and buellzebub like this.
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Well...I just checked on USPS tracking. My spokes are marked as "Processing Exception" "Your shipment has potentially been delayed due to emergency or other conditions at 4:56 pm on September 3, 2019 in FAR ROCKAWAY" That doesn't sound promising to me. GRR!
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Well, spokes are finally here. Thank you USPS for losing them and making them have to resend them.

With any luck I'll be able to do the job tonight.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Spokes are on the wheel. Toughest part was getting the tire off the wheel. All in all it went well. Bent a few of the old ones trying to unscrew the nipple. Broke one more. The wheel seems to be good laterally. But also seems to have a bit of horizontal run out. Not a lot. But it's there. Will mount the wheel on the bike and try to adjust it a bit.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

I got the wheel as close as I could. Not perfect, but damn close. Had it set up on a pair of jack stands in the kitchen. After all these years the wife doesn't even bat an eye when I do this stuff. So I took it out and mounted the tire. Set it back up on the stands and balanced it. Mounted the wheel back on the bike with the new 47 tooth sprocket. Got the new DID o-ring chain installed. Today I took it for a good hour test ride. Included a short run on an expressway. Got it up to 55mph. Still a buzzy run. But definitely better. Will I like it in the long run? Time will tell. But I think I got the wheel itself right. No shake or new vibration. I am happy with the outcome and would not hesitate to respoke another wheel if I had to.
    Mel likes this.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links