To re-jet or not re-jet....that is the question.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: To re-jet or not re-jet....that is the question.

To re-jet or not re-jet....that is the question.

Pro-Cycle sells a rejet kit for the TW...

"We all love our Tdub's, but the stock jetting leaves much to be desired! Here is a Jet Kit for your stock TK carburetor to improve your throttle response. Included in the Kit are a wide range of main jets to cover any setup, one Pilot Jet, one Jet Needle, and five Needle Shims. If you have added an exhaust system or ride at higher elevations, this is a great way to tune your Tdub for your needs."

Has anyone done this to a bone-stock TW (no AM exhaust or airbox mods)?
    Is it as big an improvement as implied?
    Did your mileage suffer because of it?
    Is this worth while?
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

GOF
    I am not the expert here. But some more information may be helpful to those that know this stuff. Where do you ride? What elevation?
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

I've rejetted 3 bikes this year for myself and yes it made a noticeable difference in all 3, KLR, DR, and XR 650's. They jet them way to lean from the factory to meet emissions. Which causes them to run hot and pop/backfire in the exhaust. Couldn't say about mileage as I never checked before jetting. I would assume the TW's are the same.
    MtnMan75 likes this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I never noticed a lot of power out of correctly jetting my 2013 TW200, but I did improve start performance, idle, and throttle response. Especially throttle right off idle. Tap the start button, or half a kick on the added kick starter is all she takes to light up. Choke just to start when warm and no more than 30 seconds stone cold below freezing.
    The bear slayer!

With your old TW, did you re-jet it as it runs well up to 7000 + feet. It was only struggling when I had it over 9000 feet.
    Runs fine at Moab with only a slight power loss that I only noticed when running on the highway.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I have noticed increased power at 9000ft and up from leaning the main jet in my '87 from a 114 to a 110. Jets are cheap - try some different ones and see what happens. I even bought some RICHER jets. They are useless at my altitude but they helped my understanding of tuning carbs a little bit.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    I never noticed a lot of power out of correctly jetting my 2013 TW200, but I did improve start performance, idle, and throttle response. Especially throttle right off idle. Tap the start button, or half a kick on the added kick starter is all she takes to light up. Choke just to start when warm and no more than 30 seconds stone cold below freezing.
    Agreed, I rejetted a perfectly good 2019, and all the forum posts about jetting are correct. It really isn't about a performance gain, but getting the bike to run correctly in lieu of your environmental variables.

I just followed directions from an older post someone linked to me about rejetting, did a plug check on all stock bike and it was super lean, only started on choke, ran kinda rough. Now it runs and idles well, 600+ miles and the plug checks have all looked really good.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    With your old TW, did you re-jet it as it runs well up to 7000 + feet. It was only struggling when I had it over 9000 feet.
    Runs fine at Moab with only a slight power loss that I only noticed when running on the highway.
    No...or should I say that I never re-jetted it...and thinking back to the PO, I don't think he was the type that would even try. As far as I know, it was bone stock which is why Pro-Cycle's ad confuses me.
    There was nowhere I went locally that it didn't run fine...
    2008 TW200

Running stock as far as jets go. Commuter, around town and sometimes dirt bike is mostly what I use my TW for.
    Does all perfectly well and have put $$ in other places.
    Unless I'm missing some amazing transformation never had the need.
    Then again there are all those kids that hop-up their Honda's, Toyota's and Nissans and feel better about them.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by TWBigBlake View Post
    Agreed, I rejetted a perfectly good 2019, and all the forum posts about jetting are correct. It really isn't about a performance gain, but getting the bike to run correctly in lieu of your environmental variables.

I just followed directions from an older post someone linked to me about rejetting, did a plug check on all stock bike and it was super lean, only started on choke, ran kinda rough. Now it runs and idles well, 600+ miles and the plug checks have all looked really good.
    So in the end...what is your setup?
    The majority of my riding is from sea level to about 6000 feet.
    2008 TW200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links