Different chain options, BikeMaster Heavy duty?
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BikeNbowHNTR
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By BikeNbowHNTR
  • 1 Post By stagewex

Thread: Different chain options, BikeMaster Heavy duty?

Different chain options, BikeMaster Heavy duty?

So after a trip into the bush which involved my chain piling up and breaking a link ( I will post about that in the Adventure section...) I am in need of a new Chain.

I have ordered a couple of Sunstar 428 front and rear sprockets (14/50) and trying to decide between a few chains. BikeMaster has a "heavy duty" version in the 122 tooth that I

am thinking about.

Either that or the DID or Standard BikeMaster.

Any experiance with this "heavy Duty" Chain?
    TonyT likes this.
    2009 TW200, stock, so far...

This would probably be the last one you would need https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-Pro-Str.../dp/B0068FTO5S

I think this is the one I bought a few years ago. Made especially for the TW200 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787DP6Y8..._t3_B0068FTO5S
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

GOF
    I went with a DID o-ring chain. It's a bit longer than I need. I'll just lop off the excess.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! I will check those out!

You can't go wrong with the DID VX chains and the correct time to add a new chain is when you are replacing the sprockets with it. This way they meld together and last the longest. I am sure there are other O or X ring chains that are worthy of consideration such as Renthal and a few other brands but I have no experience with the BikeMaster ones. I would never recommend a standard roller chain for the TW simply because of the filth that goes with them and the constant need for lubrication, cleaning and adjustments. WIth a ringed chain there is little need for external lubrication other than an occasional spray or the wax type lube that dries and does not fly all over the rear of your bike and wheel. One word of caution if you do go with a ringed chain. DO NOT ever use a high pressure spray washer directly onto the chain that could blow the rings out and never use chemicals on it that could attack the O ring rubber and cause them to dissolve.

GaryL
    Xracer likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I have been looking at the DID VX but at 5 times the price of a regular chain it’s a hard pill to swallow! I know it will probably last 5 times longer though...
    reddave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeNbowHNTR View Post
    I have been looking at the DID VX but at 5 times the price of a regular chain it’s a hard pill to swallow! I know it will probably last 5 times longer though...
    I have had good luck with these O-ring chains:

KMC 428 O-Ring Chain - 132 Links - Black 428UO x 132L

Quote Originally Posted by BikeNbowHNTR View Post
    Exactly as Gary L. said. In a world where "you get what you pay for" this chain lives up to the moniker. I have not had to adjust in over 2500 miles. I "WANT" to adjust out of guilt but the increments on the snails would make it too tight so I'm biding my time. Maybe in late Fall when I do an oil change?

Ironically the stock chain that comes on the TW is also a DID but the lowest grade piece-of-crap they can sell. I guess that would be a "regular chain"?
    Should be a no-brainer that you want the best you can get with anything to do with your driveline. Just buzzing around town, get a good "O" ring chain. Sharing time off-road get a big-boy chain for your little boy bike... the VX.

IMG_5059.JPG

This close-up where I'm installing the clip should tell you the difference between this type of chain (which I never heard of before owning a TW) and others:
    IMG_6328.jpg

Pay no attention to the upgraded different sprocket. If I had to do it again the stock sprocket size was fine though if and when you change a chain I've always changed the sprocket too. But lining up the OEM Chain and the VX side-by-side to get the proper link-count it was apparent what the difference and level of quality there was between the two.
    Just had the same chain installed on my XR250L and that bike actually has something that the TW doesn't have, head-snap torque.
    IMG_6330.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MtnMan75 likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

DID VX on mine... You do want to check it after the first few hundred miles, there is usually some initial stretch, but after that it is pretty long durations between any adjustment compared to an old style chain. Been true of most chains I've run. O-rings have a little more resistance compared the older regular chains and many argue it robs a little horsepower (to me it seems it would be negligible... they seem stiff while they're cold but have great free play once they get warmed up). Biggest benefit is they require a lot less maintenance and that maintenance is less involved as well. I just run a grunge brush down the top and bottom with some DuPont cleaner, wipe with a rag, and thoroughly coat with with lube (and again I like the DuPont wax based stuff as it tends to grab less dust). No need to take it off the bike or give it a cleaner/oil bath each time if you've had it in the muck. Big benefit imo.
    2013 TW200 "Timba Wattla"
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Sponosred Links