Seized up 2019 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Seized up 2019

Wish I could be there but unfortunately work will not allow

Quote Originally Posted by GOF View Post
    I don't think they can deny warranty for doing your own oil change. Unless they can prove you did something wrong.
    I get that it just seemed like a good idea to streamline any issues that might arrive. Having never dealt with this dealer or even owned a Yamaha for that matter I was leaving everything in their hands you know. I know some dealers and companies for that matter try to get out of everything! Lol. They'll fix it and fix it right or I've got plenty if warranty left to find they did not lol!

Interested to find out what the heck was the cause of a baby Dub croaking....sorry this happened.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    Interested to find out what the heck was the cause of a baby Dub croaking....sorry this happened.
    Appreciate it. I know I bought these for their legendary reliability! I absolutely love the way they ride. I can bounce up rocky hill climbs with ease that my buddies have to ripp up crazy out of control on their "regular" dual sports!
    Ken likes this.

IF! and that is a big IF, the oil filter is found to have not caused this issue. There is always that rare possibility something inside the engine failed prematurely. These are mechanical after all and any engine can have something such as a ring or bearing go bad in short order and have a catastrophic failure. Warranties are there for this exact reason and be happy yours is still in effect. A buddy just bought a new pickup truck and on the second day driving it to work the transmission locked up and it had to be flat bedded to the dealer. It was a real PITA but the dealer had a complete brand new tranny shipped in and gave him an even nicer truck to use while the repairs were being done. Who knows? Maybe your TW was made on late Friday or early Monday when some assembly line guy had other things on his mind or a nasty hangover.
    Let the dealer sort this out but make very sure it gets sorted to your complete satisfaction and they do it right and stand behind their repairs.

GaryL
    GOF and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    IF! and that is a big IF, the oil filter is found to have not caused this issue. There is always that rare possibility something inside the engine failed prematurely. These are mechanical after all and any engine can have something such as a ring or bearing go bad in short order and have a catastrophic failure. Warranties are there for this exact reason and be happy yours is still in effect. A buddy just bought a new pickup truck and on the
    second day driving it to work the transmission locked up and it had to be flat bedded to the dealer. It was a real PITA but the dealer had a complete brand new tranny shipped in and gave him an even nicer truck to use while the repairs were being done. Who knows? Maybe your TW was made on late Friday or early Monday when some assembly line guy had other things on his mind or a nasty hangover.
    Let the dealer sort this out but make very sure it gets sorted to your complete satisfaction and they do it right and stand behind their repairs.

GaryL
    That my outlook on the situation as well. I was really apprehensive to let someone else service it as I had done a lot of research and felt I knew the things to look for on these bikes (oil filter and lean condition mainly) but I just felt more confident that if something failed during one year warranty period it would be a advantage if it was completely dealer serviced. But all along in the back of my mind I'm thinking will they do it like I would! Oh well, as long as they make it right, everyone makes mistakes. I just hate to miss this ideal riding conditions here in the shawnee national forest!

How do you guys feel about carb mods and the warranty? Run it factory for a year out jet and shim now?

If it is running correctly when you get it back and finish the break-in period I would leave it alone. I shimmed my first TW and for the life of me I couldn't tell the difference. Re-jetting with, say, a 128 might give you a bit better performance in fifth, but remember that as you go up in jet size the gas mileage suffers a bit. For Californians or Arizonians who deal with really steep hills and 100 degree temps near sea level a 130 makes sense but I doubt you would need it in Illinois.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 09-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    GaryL likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    If it is running correctly when you get it back and finish the break-in period I would leave it alone. I shimmed my first TW and for the life of me I couldn't tell the difference. Re-jetting with, say, a 128 might give you a bit better performance in fifth, but remember that as you go up in jet size the gas mileage suffers a bit. For Californians or Arizonians who deal with really steep hills and 100 degree temps near sea level a 130 makes
    sense but I doubt you would need it in Illinois.
    Thanks I'm glad to hear that Rocky. To be honest I've seem these posts going back for years like it's mandatory that you jet, shim and 2.5 out on pilot screw at sea level. Both my bikes have ran fine with no sign of lean condition. No throttle hesitation plug has a slight tan color, definitely not bleach white. It takes just a few seconds of choke to get them to start easy, but not what I'd call cold natured. the motors seem a little hot, but nothing outside the normal I wouldn't think for a black painted air cooled motor.
    Peterb likes this.

My 2018 is like that. When I put the 126 back in to go to the Southern California desert in March it ran just fine at 700 MSL with the pilot about 2.25 turns out, exactly the same setting I use at 6,000 feet. A little fiddling with that if the bike doesn't accelerate smoothly from idle is rather simple. I use a 122 here, but that is because I packed the muffler with fiberglass to lower the sound level and it would balk in fifth at WOT from a rich condition. Usually a stock bike runs fine up to 6 or 7,000 feet, albeit with a loss of power somewhat fixed by re-jetting for altitude. Remember that if you go to Colorado on a trip!
    Other TW's over the years have needed more changes to get them to function properly. They are not all exactly the same so your and my experience is not always the case. Don't Worry, Be Happy!
    GaryL likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links