Seized up 2019 - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Seized up 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Brapdad View Post
    How do you guys feel about carb mods and the warranty? Run it factory for a year out jet and shim now?
    If it aint broke and is running fine then you don't fix it! Usually from the factory they are adjusted far too lean just to pass the emissions tests and particularly in Ca. and Az.. If your plugs have a sun tan white boy color and they run smooth then leave them alone. Yes, many have found that the pilot screw out between 2-2.5 turns is the sweet spot but just as Rocky said, they are all not created equal.
    We will all be very interested to here the autopsy results once your dealer gets to the bottom. Hope you do have an honest dealer who will stand behind you. Mine here would absolutely turn this repair in for the warranty reimbursement from Yamaha and then try to run some crap on me that I over revved it and it was my fault as he hands me the bill. That is why I would not give this dealer the sweat off my left peanut. I was the GM at just such a MC/ATV shop and told the owner to stuff it after 6 months because he had no business ever being in a customer oriented sales business.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Results are in! (long post sorry in advance) The service manager started the bike , still tapping, and opened the oil bleed for the tip end. NOTING! I was totally ready to blame the guy for the filter and boop it spit out a little was of some black gunk and on came the oil! Motor quieted right down ran fine. Pulled filter 4 hole as required. They have rode the bike cooled it adjusted bake clearance, rode more and have it two hot oil changes today. Oil looking good. I'm taking it back as is (no hard parts changed) and they have assured me that if any problem arise oil usage, valve train noises, smoke they will make it right by warranty or on the shops dime. what do you guys think?
    Ken likes this.

Well, that's an honest mistake-but not one that any mechanic who is working from experience or a shop manual should make. It clearly states a need to open the bleeder bolt (sic) in the manual. Your bike has a one year warranty and if you are comfortable with the repair and willing to accept the shop's offer, then "get it in writing". You may never have a problem with your TW-but you did buy a brand new one- so you have to decide based on your comfort level! The piston seized, maybe caused some cylinder scoring. At the very least-I would run a compression check.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think ride it and have fun. Congrats!!!
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

Unfortunately the damage done many not show up for a long time. If it was squealing and seized up, it DID do some damage. I'd want it taken apart and the top end rebuilt at least. TW's can go 40,000+ miles with the proper maintenance. Your's will probably end up needing rebuilt thousands of miles sooner. Will they warranty it then? I doubt it. I'd insist on a rebuild now. Just my 2 cents worth...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by UncleRandy View Post
    Well, that's an honest mistake-but not one that any mechanic who is working from experience or a shop manual should make. It clearly states a need to open the bleeder bolt (sic) in the manual. Your bike has a one year warranty and if you are comfortable with the repair and willing to accept the shop's offer, then "get it in writing". You may never have a problem with your TW-but you did buy a brand new one- so you have to decide
    based on your comfort level! The piston seized, maybe caused some cylinder scoring. At the
    very least-I would run a compression check.
    Good compression and never has smoked. As far as the "seize" goes with the compression and lack of smoke I'm thinking the cam bushing kept it from turning over as opposed to the ring to cylinder wall. Just my opinion though
    Last edited by Brapdad; 09-09-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    I think ride it and have fun. Congrats!!!
    I hate to admit it but I'm feeling like risking it! If it runs good when I ride it tomorrow I'm probably taking it. I have big riding plans for the weekend with my son and wife and I'm not wanting to miss out. If the damage is severe I will be finding out sooner rather than later. As fast as knocking a few thousand miles off of 40000 mile expectation that's a risk I can live with

At the end of the day, it is your money and your bike. Therefore it is your decision. However, I will offer my opinion since you asked (yes, we all have one, just like a******s). Anyhow, I have made MANY a bad decisions in my life and with my history of engines in cars, trucks, and definitely bikes. Some fun, some not so much. At this point in my life, if I were to buy a brand new bike from a dealer and this happened, I would not take the bike back without a full teardown and a lot of details in writing. That is just me. You may be fine, you may not be in 2,3,5,10 or 20k miles. Nobody can really know without a top end inspection and tear down. On a used bike that I picked up off a CL, I may be more likely to accept it, but on a brand new bike from a dealer who borked the first oil change, no way. Just my 2 cents. I also do not know your financial situation. That can carry some weight as well. Either way, I hope you enjoy your TW for many years to come no matter what. Cheers.
    TheFunkyMonkey and MtnMan75 like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    At the end of the day, it is your money and your bike. Therefore it is your decision. However, I will offer my opinion since you asked (yes, we all have one, just like a******s). Anyhow, I have made MANY a bad decisions in my life and with my history of engines in cars, trucks, and definitely bikes. Some fun, some not so much. At this point in my life, if I were to buy a brand new bike from a dealer and this happened, I would not take the bike back without a full teardown and a lot of details in writing. That is just me. You may be fine, you may not be in 2,3,5,10 or 20k miles. Nobody can really know without a top end inspection and tear down. On a used bike that I picked up off a CL, I may be more likely to accept it, but on a brand new bike from a dealer who borked the first oil change, no way. Just my 2 cents. I also do not know your financial situation. That can carry some weight as well. Either way, I hope you enjoy your TW for many years to come no matter what. Cheers.

Totally agree. That is ridiculous to happen at/from a dealer especially with a pretty bulletproof bike like a TW200. No one is going to talk you out of it since you mentioned "willing to take a risk".
    And this is a motorcycle forum, not a bunch of financial advisors. For me $5K plus or minus for something brand-new should never be a risk. Used, sure. But not new.
    May the Yamaha Gods look down on you favorably. Ride Safe & Happy.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

If it was my bike or was here I would be stuffing this through the plug hole and inspecting the cylinder walls.

IMG_1916.JPG

GaryL
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponosred Links