Seized up 2019 - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Seized up 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Brapdad View Post
    Just got one of my 2 2019 t dubs back from the 600 mile service and one of them got a tapping noise going on the first ride! Decided to turn around on the forest road I was on and seized up and skidded the back tire! Wouldn't turn over. I'm a mile or 2 from cell service so I let it cool and restarted it. Got a little squeal right at first and squealed a time or 2 more on the way out. It's sitting at the dealer awaiting autopsy Monday. Just thought I'd see what you guys think in the mean time
    Without even reading the other answers/comments....my first guess is...{If you or dealer installed a new oil filter} The Oil Filter was put in Ass Backwards....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Now that I've read the other comments.... I feel bad for you....

But Sometimes Life and Motorcycles/Dealers Just Suck....case in point {Not that it has a damn thing to do with your story, it just brought back some memories, which 45 years later, make me smile}

I purchased a new Kawasaki 250 {Dual Sport} back in 1974....took it in for an oil change and the dealer/owner calls me in and says somebody had "tampered" with my ride, by putting a few screws into the crankcase...turns out the "somebody" was one of his workers, who had it in for me, because I had kicked the shit out of one of his buddies at the bar I was manager at {for punching a hole in the wall, I punched his lights out}...and decided to "get even" … once my lawyer contacted the dealer/owner I had a new 250 no strings attached, in my garage...the assclown that did the dirty was by this time looking for a new job....and avoiding me at all costs.
    GaryL and Donzo like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    It would be pretty easy to remove the upper cam sprocket cover, turn the sprocket so the line is straight up, loosen the tension on the cam chain, and see if you could wiggle the camshaft up and down. If a lot of movement then you know you have troubles and show the dealer.

Remove the valve adjustment covers, turn the engine over to see the top of the cam lobes and see if they are damaged. No damage no worries. If damaged then point it out to the dealer.

I see the worst case being the bike is out of warranty and the head / camshaft craps out and the dealer doesn't honor his promise. At that point one possibility is you could get a used head for <$100, maybe a lot less, and an hour of work and you are back on the road.
    Fred and jtstdub like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

...well, maybe a bit more than an hour.
    elime likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Do ate you saying the bushing cam beer upgraded to this roller bearing direct fit?
    Yes. A unsealed 6005 ball bearing is an exact drop-in replacement. Motor oil mist from the lifters and cam chain offers plenty of lubrication. The only thing you have to do is bend the finger on the retainer clip (that goes in the notch at 12 o clock in the picture above) out of the way, or cut it off. Otherwise it pokes into the bearing cage and prevents the cage from freely rotating. It's there to keep the bushing from spinning in it's bore, not an issue with a ball bearing.

Do ate you saying the bushing cam beer upgraded to this roller bearing direct fit?
    Yes. A unsealed 6005 ball bearing is an exact drop-in replacement. Motor oil mist from the lifters and cam chain offers plenty of lubrication. The only thing you have to do is bend the finger on the retainer clip (that goes in the notch at 12 o clock in the picture above) out of the way, or cut it off. Otherwise it pokes into the bearing cage and prevents the cage from freely rotating. It's there to keep the bushing from spinning in it's bore, not an issue with a ball bearing.
    Is this a popular mod? I'd never came across it! It seems like a good upgrade if you where in there fit bushings anyway

Ehh, I don't know I'd say it's popular, but not unheard of either. In normal operation the bushing isn't really known to fail or anything like that, although I'd be curious how sloppy it gets when people start getting 20-30-40k miles on a motor considering the wear I observed after only a couple thousand.

I put the stage 1 cam in both my TW's so while I had it apart I swapped in the ball bearing. Cost a whole $6 or so.
    Ken likes this.

Ken
    Ehh, I don't know I'd say it's popular, but not unheard of either. In normal operation the bushing isn't really known to fail or anything like that, although I'd be curious how sloppy it gets when people start getting 20-30-40k miles on a motor considering the wear I observed after only a couple thousand.

I put the stage 1 cam in both my TW's so while I had it apart I swapped in the ball bearing. Cost a whole $6 or so.
    I did a valve job on mine at 40,000 miles. My cam bushing had no scoring and was still in spec. I thought about installing the roller bearings but I didn't see any benefit to it since mine were not worn. I wonder if there was a lack of lubrication if the roller bearings would hold up better though?
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponosred Links