Bike dying when put into 1st from neutral - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bike dying when put into 1st from neutral

Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    This seems to be a common complaint on newer TW's that have the reshaped clutch discs, but it suddenly happening on an older one is a bit odd.

Cooler weather combined with thicker oil can cause more drag and a bit more of a clunk when dropping into gear for the first time, if your idle is set too low this can stall it out. Might try changing to a thinner weight oil moving into cooler months. I definitely notice the "clunk" is more pronounced using 15-50 oil vs 5-40, although once warmed up both feel perfectly smooth, or as smooth as a TW's transmission ever is.

Oil that's due to be changed tends to drag clutches a bit more also. Could be a factor of a few of those things.
    Oil was changed only last month with 20w-50. I set the idle when the bike was warm and it is noticeably much lower rpms right after starting it.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Quote Originally Posted by Errtu View Post
    Kickstand sensor removed.
    Removed sensor needs to be replaced with a jumper wire or have leads otherwise short circuited to complete a circuit. But then you already knew that. Otherwise bike would not even start with an open circuit there; unless clutch is pulled in or clutch lever's sensor similarly bypassed.
    Errtu likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If the bike is lurching, the clutch is still at least partially engaged/plates sticking and the stall that results is killing the engine. I wouldn't suspect any sensor/wire with just that one symptom alone, so long as you have the clutch pulled in and the cable is set correctly.
    Turn the fuel off, pop the plug wire off and pull the clutch in with the bike in first gear and hit the starter. If it walks you forward, the clutch is still engaged. You can always try it without removing the plug wire, but if it is right before your power stroke you might have a buckin bronco under ya!
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    If the bike is lurching, the clutch is still at least partially engaged/plates sticking and the stall that results is killing the engine. I wouldn't suspect any sensor/wire with just that one symptom alone, so long as you have the clutch pulled in and the cable is set correctly.
    Turn the fuel off, pop the plug wire off and pull the clutch in with the bike in first gear and hit the starter. If it walks you forward, the clutch is still engaged. You can always try it without removing the plug wire, but if it is right before your power stroke you might have a buckin bronco under ya!
    I will be checking the clutch cable tomorrow. I just don't understand why all of a sudden the plates would be sticking.
    2001 Yamaha TW200
    2015 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Pretty common problem.

Just grab a handful of front brake, give it a little extra gas, and let the clutch out.

Problem solved.

I will be checking the clutch cable tomorrow. I just don't understand why all of a sudden the plates would be sticking.
    Did you have a recent cold snap before this happened?
    If so, refer to post No.8 above...
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Why all of a sudden? They've been wearing down this whole time, it's probably just now gotten to the point where they stick.

Take your clutch apart and check it. If the clutch basket is notched like this, it needs replacing.

IMG_0475.JPG.c198c8dfb5417c89c87d7835558a83a2.jpeg
    basket tang wear arrow.png

^that will definitely cause clutch to stick. Hopefully that's not your problem.

Also just check the plates themselves and see if it's about that time they need replacing. [Usually worn clutch will slip, not stick though.]
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; Today at 11:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponosred Links