Replaced front sprocket. Now turns over but won't start.
Close

Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By FIRE UP
  • 9 Post By Snortgunther
  • 2 Post By tylermoney
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: Replaced front sprocket. Now turns over but won't start.

Replaced front sprocket. Now turns over but won't start.

Hello. I replaced the front and rear sprocket on my 1994 TW200 and now it wont start. I had to take the side engine case off to get to the front sprocket. I am wondering if something isn't lined up correctly now for ignition timing. I am getting a spark out of the plug right as I let off the starter button, but it is not sparking as I hold it down. The motor will turn over, but not start. Am I missing something that should have been lined up for ignition timing? Thanks in advance for any help.

You will want to check the trigger coil for the cdi. when you remove the sprocket the stator and trigger coil is removed with the cover. if the trigger is not sending the signal for the cdi then it will not fire. check all the connections from the stator wiring and if need be check for resistance or the ac voltage present when the engine is turning over

Snort,
    When you remove that side case, there are some wires that are attached to the stator, if I recall. It is imperative that when you re-install that side case, you DO NOT PINCH any of those wires. You make darn sure they're routed in such a manor that they're not damaged in any way when the cover is placed and clamped down by the screws. Is it possible that you damaged one, well, I'm not a TW tech so, the smarter ones that know for sure, will chime in and help here.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for the spot on advice. I took the side engine cover off and right there looking at me was a pinched, broken wire. After repairing it and putting it back together it is running fine. Thanks again for all the help.
    Errtu, Fred, tylermoney and 6 others like this.

I'm about to do this project myself. I've already shared and watched this video a few times in preparation. Worth watching, as he goes over everything in detail, and has great shots of everything as well.

I guess at this stage since you've already done the project, you should now be covered by the advice from the other forum members above. Good luck getting things back in order.
    jtstdub and Darth like this.
    2019 Yamaha TW200
    - DGv2 Slip On
    - Custom Oil Cooler
    - Manracks Seat Rack
    - Ricochet Skid Plate
    - Oversizzed Footpegs
    - Cycra ProBend Handguards

1973 Yamaha RD350
    - In pieces in my garage Hidden Content

This is a very common mistake made by lots of new TW owners and exactly why whenever I give advice on sprocket changes I include the need to have a new gasket on hand and to pay strict attention to the wire routing during the cover reinstallation.

GaryL
    tylermoney and GOF like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links