Bad ignition coil symptoms?
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Matt in TN
  • 1 Post By mrlmd

Thread: Bad ignition coil symptoms?

Bad ignition coil symptoms?

So I'm still fighting a surge/misfire under full throttle on my 1987 TW200. I've done some carb work and replaced the CDI and it runs better, but still has the full throttle issue. So I started testing EVERYTHING, and found infinite resistance on the secondary ignition coil.

I ordered a new coil, but now I'm doubting myself. How would this thing even run if the secondary coil had infinite resistance? It ran pretty well at idle and low throttle. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 09-18-2019 at 09:30 PM.

For anyone searching this - I figured out the issue. In one place in the manual it lists the secondary coil resistance in ohms, and in another place it lists it in kiloohms. I had the meter on the wrong setting, and my original ignition coil was likely fine. Oh well - now I have a new one and an old spare.
    Purple and tylermoney like this.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    FYI - the resistance of a coil may be normal at ambient temp, but a coil usually fails when it is hot, and then the numbers drastically change. A normal reading at room temp does not necessarily give the health of the coil.
    Just for laughs, since you already got the new coil, replace it and see what happens.
    tylermoney likes this.

Sponosred Links