Ignition Woes
Close

Thread: Ignition Woes

Ignition Woes

Hey guys, i need some help. I think I have an ignition component starting to fail on my 90 tw so I'm going through the fsm diagnostic tree. the bike starts and runs but has a low-mid rpm miss and the timing light gets erratic when it starts missing. it did this a few months ago and i ended up replacing the cdi with one of toms units. it ran great for a while but has now fallen back into its old ways. as per the fsm, the coil and pickup coil are in spec. I got to the stator test and I think it's cashing out but want your guy's opinions. If I have the right test for the right model, it wants about 600-700 ohm between red and brown from the stator. Though my stator wires aren't exactly those colors, they do plug onto those colors in the harness. The only continuity between any of my 3 stator leads is about 50 ohm between yellow and brown. Also, the red has high resistance to ground. that red is the only of the 3 wires to plug into toms cdi so I'm thinking it having continuity to ground is a bad thing but when i look at the schematic, it looks like that red terminates at a ground anyways? now im wondering if i have even had the correct red plugged into the cdi at all this time since my stator has 2 flavors of red coming from it? Can anyone check continuity between the 3 wires and between them and ground on their bike and report back? I don't have any spare parts to check against so this is driving me nuts and im having a hard time getting to the bottom of this. I'd really appreciate it!
    https://imgur.com/3KCNlKi
    https://imgur.com/wu2MMPG
    https://imgur.com/7u2cl2c

tom was kind enough to get back with me last evening and help with diagnostics. as per the schematic, yellow and brown are tied to the same coil(s) inside the stator and are not used by his cdi. red is the only of the 3 wires that his cdi uses and it is, indeed, terminated at ground after passing through its own coil(s) in the stator. he said the ideal resistance value between red and ground is 500-700 ohm; mine is over 4300. he said thats way too high and points to a faulty stator. i found a guy selling a used oe stator and he was kind enough to check resistance between red and the stator body on his unit; his value was 2800 ohm. im tempted to try to get a new vendor to pull a new stator from the shelf and check its value but i dont think ill get any of them to mess with it. looks like i might amazon a new one and check its value when it gets here. if its under 1k like tom suggests, ill throw it on the bike. if its closer to 3k or 4k like these used ones, i guess ill be back to square one.

Sponosred Links