Pulsation...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulsation...

It appears as though the problem I had a while ago, is back!

Thought it had to do with excess oil level - NO.

Thought it might be tire related - NO...although my tires were rather low.

Third gear...around 3000-3500 RPM, or 4th gear giving it gas...sounds like something is grabbing and releasing, yet I get no feeling of speed increase/decrease as it is happening.

When I got home, I revved it up to the same level (standing still)...runs fine, so I don't think it is anything to do with carb or ignition. I suspect something in the drive...chain and BOTH sprockets are fairly new (2000 miles old) and chain tension is within acceptable limits.

Ideas?
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Shot in the dark, but the clutch maybe? Could be slipping. That might fit, but it would show a slight speed drop unless it happens very quickly. This can be oil and adjustment related. I won't tell you what oil to use, but you can read up if you're unsure you're using a good one for wet clutches.

Or intermittent spark. For the spark, get the bike good and warm and see if it still has the problem standing still. Ignition coils will give a similar effect that gets worse as the problem goes on, eventually feeling like low fuel, but it only happens when it's hot usually and in high revs.

As well, possibly a jet in the carb, but if it's hard to recreate the issue I would lean away from that one.

On the lines of where assquatch20 is going in regards to the clutch. Is there and unusual smell or odor recently during the condition you describe? Sometimes a clutch slipping or burning will emit a unique smell.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I should also mention wind buffeting could be fooling you. Turning your head a weird direction, a wind shield, all kinds of factors for that.

Is your rear sprocket nice and tight up against the wheel?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Was considering the clutch, but it still seems fairly strong...am able to stall with a 2nd gear start, and pulling STEEEEEP hills is not a problem. No strange smells or other sensations that point to clutch, but it might be worth re-visiting this...

Oil is the same I've used since I bought it; Mobil 4T syn.

Sprocket appears to be OK...this all started at my last oil change about a month ago...wierd.

Again, this morning on my way in to work...third gear, lugging slightly and when I give her gas, it's WaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaAA AAAAAAA....until she gets up to about 3000 RPM. Hope everyone is able to "imagine" what that sounds like...LOL!
    2008 TW200

TWinBc,

Pardon if my memory fails me... Weren't you one of us that had to "blip start" your TW?

I traced my problem to a faulty ignition coil, even though it tested within specs.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    TWinBc,

Pardon if my memory fails me... Weren't you one of us that had to "blip start" your TW?

I traced my problem to a faulty ignition coil, even though it tested within specs.

Jb

Yes, I often "blip" start.

The reason I don't think it's ignition-related, is that I cannot duplicate the effect when standing still. She revs fine all the way up...even if I bring it up slowly.

Having said that, I am not discounting that it MIGHT be an ignition problem; it's just that it occurred immediately AFTER an oil change that has me wondering.

How did you determine it was a coil problem if it tested within specs?

How about timing chain? That is one item I've never paid much attention to...
    2008 TW200

While riding along sometimes my TW feels like the clutch momentarily slips and then grabs. When I test the clutch by putting a load on it it holds solid. Not even a hint of slippage. I have no idea what it could be but it doesn't seem to be getting worse so I try to ignore it.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Well...either way, I'll be ordering a new clutch kit from PC in the next few days. http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html

I have over 25,000 miles on the original clutch so it might be time.
    2008 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links