• 2 Post By Rod R
  • 1 Post By SimpleScout
  • 2 Post By CJ7Pilot
  • 1 Post By Almada71
  • 2 Post By CJ7Pilot
  • 4 Post By gerryobloke

Thread: Replacement CV Carburator

Replacement CV Carburator

I was cleaning a gummed up carburetor recently, from my friend's '09 TW, and I broke the float pin post while trying to get the pin out.

I intended to find a replacement original carb body, but in the mean time, I ordered this as a replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the OEM carb! I swapped over the stock throttle cable bracket, and the idle speed screw extender, and bolted it up.

It runs like a champ, right out of the box! We'll see if it wears out any faster, but I don't see why it would.

I still intend to rebuild a stock carb for my friend's bike, but it will probably just end up on a shelf.

For anyone looking for an affordable bolt-on 2001+ replacement carburetor, I think this is a viable option.

Cheers!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 09-24-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    jtstdub, littletommy, Fred and 4 others like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

How well did it do for Start Up, Warm Up and Idle?
    Any surging while idling or riding?
    Or how about back firing on decel?
    My 2016 is doing all of the above and air/fuel adjustment screw does not correct it.
    Before investing time, energy and money in re-jetting, I may consider the $50 Amazon you speak of.

Thanks,
    Marty
    littletommy likes this.

Congrats. I have used four of them (even a couple on the pre-01 models) and I’ve had good luck too. There was one that took a lot of tweaking to get tuned but all good. I expect something like a 25% or greater failure rate on these, but no bad ones yet. The last one I ordered was $28 with free two day shipping.
    Peterb and littletommy like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=CJ7Pilot;1021416]I was cleaning a gummed up carburetor recently, from my friend's '09 TW, and I broke the float pin post while trying to get the pin out.

Just an FYI, I broke a float pin post once....... I carefully JB Welded it back in place and it is still working just fine today.... Since then I always clean the little hole in the float pin post with rolled up 600 grit abrasive paper before reassembly. I like the pin loose, most of the time the float bowl is designed to keep the pin captured.
    Last edited by Rod R; 09-24-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: wording
    littletommy and CJ7Pilot like this.

I did the exact same thing you did. Glad I just bought a new one! Works great.
    littletommy likes this.

The replacement CV carb worked so well on my friend's bike, I decided to get one for my blue & white '87... I'm amazed at how well it runs!

This '87 came with a generic china-carb installed, and while it was reliable, it just never had the "oomph" of other TWs. I played around with the jetting, but I could never make it run any better.

Then I started playing around with a "pumper" carb, and that made a huge improvement! It still wasn't quite as good as other TWs though (particularly LTs black '87).

Well, the chinese stock CV carb knock-off has really brought this '87 back in line. The black one still has an edge, but it's a thin one....

Now I'm not sure I want to tear it down for the 250/6-speed install.

Just kidding.
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7Pilot View Post
    The replacement CV carb worked so well on my friend's bike, I decided to get one for my blue & white '87... I'm amazed at how well it runs!
    Quick question, when you installed this carb on your '87 did you use the stock intake boot? Or did you have to get a new intake boot?
    littletommy likes this.
    1987 TW200, 600 miles, side yard find

I used the stock boot between the carb and the head, but I had to use a later model air box boot. It was a pretty tight fit, but it all settled in to place nicely.
    Almada71 and littletommy like this.

03:19 pm Thu 24 October 2019
    Hello I am from Comox BC Canada at sea level . I recently purchased this carb link https://www.amazon.com/Carbpro-Carbu...8&sr=8-2-fkmr0 from Amazon Canada for 44.00 C$ for my 2006 tw200.

Easy installation and well constructed. Needle jet has 5 grooves so it is adjustable I left mine as it was 3rd groove up from the needle tip. The idle screw was set at 2.75 turns from full seat and I left it there. Main jet was a # 56 drill or .046inches same as my original GK carb. My bike started first click and ran beautifully, smooth idle , no hesitation! As opposed to months of cleaning, adjusting and fiddling with the original carb which I suspect has internal passage clogging issues that I could not remedy following every available tip and technique I ever came across. I paid less for this complete carb than I would pay for a main jet and seat in Canada. I am ordering another as spare tomorrow.
    Cheers...Gerry

Sponosred Links