Clicking sound when pushing bike forward?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Clicking sound when pushing bike forward?

Clicking sound when pushing bike forward?

Hello, friends! I noticed this morning when loading up my TW that it is making a new sound. Rolling the bike forward makes a steady "click" sound coming from the front sprocket area. The faster you roll the bike the more frequent the click. Rolling the bike backward does not produce this sound. Has anyone experienced this before?
    -reddave
    littletommy likes this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Not uncommon. Best to make sure your rear sprocket is properly installed (some require spacers vs stock) and make sure your chain adjusters are on the same mark on both sides.
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

I tend to notice it more as the front sprocket starts to wear some with the teeth changing angle slightly and the chain slightly stretched. As the bike is rolled forward, the chain is pushed upward on the teeth of the front sprocket. As the chain rides the outer part of the tooth and passes the . . . oh let's say 5 o'clock position . . . it can no longer ride the roller coaster upwards and drops off the tooth and taps the one behind it on the downward drop which causes the clicking noise. This is a phenomenon known as W.F.S. (Warn Front Sprock-mosis)

As the bike is pushed backwards the same thing happens except the rollers are allowed to drop and roll back down to the bottom between the two teeth and ride where it normally would do to gravity as the roller passes about the 11 o'clock position, thus no tapping sound.

This phenomenon is referred to as Reverse Osmosis ! ! !
    littletommy, GaryL and Darth like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check sprockets for wear Sounds like the CS is starting to hook. Remember that it goes around about 4 times for every turn of the rear.
    Purple and littletommy like this.
    Me and my white mule

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    ..... make sure your chain adjusters are on the same mark on both sides.
    Actually, some of these bikes require different settings on each side of the adjusters. Mine needs 2 indents less on the right to line up the rear sprocket with the front. The only way to tell is to carefully measure the distance from the swingarm bolt to the rear axle with a piece of wire. I discovered this when I installed dual sprockets on my 2010.

This was the wear at 4,000 miles on the inside:
    TW200 Sprockets 031.JPGTW200 Sprockets 032.JPG

And on the outside (right photo)

I never noticed any weird handling or tire wear, but if you want to get the most mileage out of your chain and sprockets it's worth looking at.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I also noticed the adjusters being off. If you have one of those fancy laser chain alignment tools you can use that, but the easy/free way is to just carefully watch where the chain is riding on the sprocket, looking from behind. There is a little side-to-side slop, and the chain will tend to track to one side or the other depending on wheel alignment (If you've owned a belt drive bike, it's the exact same idea as setting the belt tracking). I found on my TW for the chain to track centered the same result as Rocky, the right/brake side was 2 clicks "less" than the left/sprocket adjuster.

Your clicking sound is almost certainly a worn out front sprocket.
    littletommy and Darth like this.

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I've always had my adjusters matched and never heard any noise before. Sounds like it might be time to finally try that 15 tooth front sprocket and make sure I've got those adjusters set correctly.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

I had my chain a touch too tight one time. It ticked.

Also check the guard that sposta stop sticks from going into the rear sprocket. I bent mine in once from a tip over. The plastic was ticking againt the outer plates of the chain, as it went by.
    reddave, Elvesus and Darth like this.

I wore my front sprocket down so bad that the only symptom was a loud snapping when doing wheelies or jumps. I was worried it was something worse but turned out to be the chain snapped over the rounded teeth. Otherwise it sounded normal. Then again there is more then one way to wear a sprocket if you engine brake or not.

Could it be something so silly and harmless as a piece of branch caught in there?
    reddave and Darth like this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BUMBLESPECIMOODA View Post
    I had my chain a touch too tight one time. It ticked.
    I find that a loose chain, and sometimes a dirty chain, will make a similar soft ticking sound when I push my bike. Both are easy fixes (which gives me no excuse for letting my chain get too loose or too dirty in the first place!).
    reddave likes this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links