Chain gang-which replacement is best
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Chain gang-which replacement is best

Chain gang-which replacement is best

My chain snapped and broke off while I was out riding. Now I need a new one.

1. Do I have to replace the sprockets the bike only has 3,000 miles so they are not worn down.

2. I am looking at this chain https://www.amazon.com/RK-Racing-Cha...ve&sr=1-9&th=1
    Can anyone recommend a better chain (must be on amazon, because they ship to AK for free)

What are your thoughts?

Have a great weekend!
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

The TW takes a 428 rather than a 520 chain. Otherwise the O-ring style and brand listed are good choices.

Chain breakage is unusual and may be indicative of inadequate adjustment , extreme usage or result of debris entrapment. As such sprocket integrity comes into question too despite a non-worn appearance. I follow industry guidelines of replacing sprockets with chain as they are an integrated system.

Actually a stock chain and sprockets that has 3,000 miles on them has reached a reasonable life expectancy for a bike that makes occasional forays into the dirt. I would replace all three if I could afford it to avoid premature re-replacement in the future as old sprockets will immediately start shortening life expectancy of the new chain.
    Purple and MtnMan75 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The RK chain - in the correct 428 pitch size - would be a fine choice.
    The one you referenced is the larger 520 pitch...and won't work.

A 428 O-ring RK brand is a huge step up in quality from OE.
    If it won't break the piggy bank, also consider the "X-ring" version.
    The quality is the same as the O-ring but the X-ring will do even better in keeping the lubricant inside and the crud outside the chain innards. Chain & sprocket life will be even better.

Both the 0 & X-ring will more than pay for themselves in increased component life.

And a "Golden rule" (that not everyone will agree with) is, "A loose chain is a happy chain!"
    (But not too loose...just a smidge outside the spec).
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As Mr. Fred stated, better to replace the set. However, if money is an issue and being the sprockets have the mileage you say, I would go with an RK chain with NO o-rings just to finish out the life of the sprockets. One can be had on amazon for about $20. Add a filter to the order to reach the $25 minimum for free shipping. And remember, as Fred said, 428 size, not the 520. Linky attached.
    https://www.amazon.com/RK-Racing-Cha...motive&sr=1-11
    Fred likes this.

Many will replace the FRONT sprocket twice before replacing the rear...but seeings as how this is quite an involved procedure on the TW, you might want to just replace all three at once.
    I agree that the X-ring is a better product; I had an O-ring chain wear out completely while still "looking" good....as in all sealing-rings were still present, but when removed from the bike I was able to bend the whole thing into a semi-circle. Many of the "lubricated" pins were worn well past the allowable limits. In short, you couldn't tell by just looking at it...
    By contrast, the X-ring chain was still tight after 3 seasons...(but I only put on about 2000 miles/season).
    Darth likes this.
    2008 TW200
    Southwest corner of BC Canada

YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The TW takes a 428 rather than a 520 chain. Otherwise the O-ring style and brand listed are good choices.

Chain breakage is unusual and may be indicative of inadequate adjustment , extreme usage or result of debris entrapment. As such sprocket integrity comes into question too despite a non-worn appearance. I follow industry guidelines of replacing sprockets with chain as they are an integrated system.

Actually a stock chain and sprockets that has 3,000 miles on them has reached a reasonable life expectancy for a bike that makes occasional forays into the dirt. I would replace all three if I could afford it to avoid premature re-replacement in the future as old sprockets will immediately start shortening life expectancy of the new chain.

I actually had some bad luck with this chain.

Chain lube is not available where I live. The aerosols won't ship up here and no store carry it so I use motul chain paste which I don't think is that great. I just moved to rainforest and I am realizing how 10 feet of rain per year can eat away metal. My chain guard seal broke and came off on a ride and threw the chain off probably put some extra stress on the chain. When I replaced the chain guard I had the chain on too loose and on one ride the chain came off and got stuck around the rear axle really bending and twisting...I have had more chain issues on the TW in 1 month than I have had in 7 years on a KLR.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

I do like the twenty dollar simple chain option to finish out the life of the sprockets, very clever idea for the cost conscientious.
    Adding an air filter just sweetens the value for the dollars spent, nice suggestion.
    I would go ahead and order quality chain and replacement sprockets anyways to have them on hand for the inevitable day when a complete replacement is warranted.
    Scooterbrained likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Why don't you just use 80w90 gear oil as chain lube?
    It's what DID and most chain manufacturers recommend.
    Here are some good chains to choose from,which one depends on your type of use:
    EK 428SROZ(O-ring)
    EK 428SR(Non-sealed)
    RK 428XSO("R"X-ring)
    RK 428MXU(U-ring)
    DID 428NZ(Non-sealed,used to be the OEM one I think)
    DID 428VX(X-ring)
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by YamTW87 View Post
    It's what DID and most chain manufacturers recommend.
    The main reason is it slings off like a MoFo...
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by AKTW View Post
    My chain snapped and broke off while I was out riding. Now I need a new one.

1. Do I have to replace the sprockets the bike only has 3,000 miles so they are not worn down.
    Sounds to me like there was a lack of chain maintenance. Original chains need a lot of maintenance.

If the sprockets look OK, I would go with a cheap non-o-ring chain and plan on cleaning and oiling the chain every 400 miles and after every dirt ride.

Quote Originally Posted by YamTW87 View Post
    O'Reilly's sells 140 wt. gear oil -- less fling than 80/90 wt oil.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links