How to improve the rear brakes....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: How to improve the rear brakes....

How to improve the rear brakes....

I need advice on the rear brakes. Who makes the best shoes? Disk brake conversions?
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Try the EBC Y503G,it's probably the best option for the TW and they are grooved too.
    Also make sure to check your brake pedal free play before replacing.
    Rear disk conversions have been made, but they are one-offs.
    You will need to fabricate a custom hub,which will probably cost a few hundred bucks.
    There is this kit also,but I couldn't find any info about it or a review,even in japanese.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I agree on the EBC Y503G grooved rear shoes.
    EBC makes good stuff...lots of positive experience with them.
    Go with EBC HH pads when it's time to change the fronts.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rear disk tw200.jpg
    That looks AWESOME! I converted their yen and its $950 usd. Only catch is you have to take it to their shop in japan for install. No mail order. Some work has to be done to the hub. Yamaha should offer a kit like this for the older ones and make it standard on new TWs.
    Darth likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by Apolloha View Post
    rear disk tw200.jpg
    That looks AWESOME! I converted their yen and its $950 usd. Only catch is you have to take it to their shop in japan for install. No mail order. Some work has to be done to the hub. Yamaha should offer a kit like this for the older ones and make it standard on new TWs.
    This looks like what I have been thinking. It looks like if it was done right about all the owner would need to do would be to weld a tab on the inside of the swing arm to prevent the caliper from rotating.
    Darth and Apolloha like this.
    Me and my white mule

Have to chime in here about EBC brake shoes. I've tried them on several drum brake systems including the Dub and on every one they have less stopping power. Not only that but they squeel like crazy. The stock OEM's are the way to go. Now for the front disc it's a different story with the HH pads providing more power and better feel. Be aware they do wear down the disc faster than OEM but I feel the increased power is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Have to chime in here about EBC brake shoes. I've tried them on several drum brake systems including the Dub and on every one they have less stopping power. Not only that but they squeel like crazy.
    Ditto! I have sanded the drum and the shoe and the squeeeeeeeal goes away for a while but comes back.

You might try getting a slightly longer brake arm. It made the rear brakes more effective on both of my TW's.. I think I got them from an XT225 but I am not sure. It was a long time ago.

Stock brake arm is on the left.
    P4280054.JPG
    Last edited by elime; 10-01-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Donzo, Fred, Darth and 5 others like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by white mule View Post
    This looks like what I have been thinking. It looks like if it was done right about all the owner would need to do would be to weld a tab on the inside of the swing arm to prevent the caliper from rotating.
    It really looks like all of it is off-the-shelf stuff except for the hub adapter. Someone working on motorcycles or a shop probably recognizes those components from other bikes. If I had a spare hub to play with, I bet I could make that adapter. (Thanks for that link YamTW87)
    YamTW87 and Darth like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Have to chime in here about EBC brake shoes. I've tried them on several drum brake systems including the Dub and on every one they have less stopping power. Not only that but they squeel like crazy. The stock OEM's are the way to go. Now for the front disc it's a different story with the HH pads providing more power and better feel. Be aware they do wear down the disc faster than OEM but I feel the increased power is worth it.

Yep, me too. I installed EBC brakes on my 900 lb. Goldwing and, yep, less stopping power with the same amount of foot pressure. Not only that but, they wore considerably faster than the OEM ones did. So, I went back to OEMs. Will stay with OEM when it comes time for brakes on the dub.

Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Ditto! I have sanded the drum and the shoe and the squeeeeeeeal goes away for a while but comes back.

You might try getting a slightly longer brake arm. It made the rear brakes more effective on both of my TW's.. I think I got them from an XT225 but I am not sure. It was a long time ago.

Stock brake arm is on the left.
    P4280054.JPG
    I have read on here about the longer arm. Kinda forgot about that. Anyone know for sure which bike its from?

I think I will go with the stock shoes and this longer arm from what I seen from all of Tdubers responses.
    cateyetech likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links