Chain replacement attempt.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Chain replacement attempt.

Chain replacement attempt.

I'm trying to work up the courage to attempt replacing my stock chain with a DID X (I have the required size info somewhere).
    My question:
    Since the chain comes with a master link with clip all I have to do is remove the clip (watched several youtube vids), remove the master link, attach the new chain to the old one, thread it thru, install new master link, new o rings and clip (facing forward) and I should be done. Am I correct or out of my mind? Thank you all for your help.
    Last edited by Cerberus; 10-04-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    Darth likes this.

Sounds about right. Are the sprockets new enough that replacements aren't warranted? Worn sprockets can wear a new chain down kinda quick.
    Darth likes this.

The sprockets look pretty good to me. Bike has just 2000 mi. all on asphalt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you feel good about it, go for it. Be sure to check the inner side of the sprocket as well. A little misalignment can cause it to wear on one side more than the other. Provided they looked like new I'd go ahead and reuse them too. Get the slack right once you're done. If you're getting the rear tire off the ground for the job that's good, but maybe break the axle nut loose beforehand so you can adjust the slack while it's up. If you're getting the stock amount of chain links then it shouldn't be too hard to get in the ballpark.

Installing the DID VX chain is not as easy as you might think. When you put the tiny X rings on behind the outer plate the plate must be compressed enough so the E clip can seat in the groves. A Chain Tool Kit provides the vice type press for this and has various different attachments that will make this job simple. Without a chain tool kit then you must improvise and figure some other way to compress the plate and X rings far enough to find the E clip groves. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive kit that will work fine.

GaryL
    jtstdub, 762x54 and cateyetech like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

In a pinch, I have used a set of vise grip pliers to pinch the outer plate down enough to compress the o-rings.
    One pair can do the trick if you do each end a tad at the time with the pliers set right.
    Two pair work better if you can do both ends at the same time.
    If you have a pair narrow enough, perhaps you can do it between the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterbrained View Post
    In a pinch, I have used a set of vise grip pliers to pinch the outer plate down enough to compress the o-rings.
    One pair can do the trick if you do each end a tad at the time with the pliers set right.
    Two pair work better if you can do both ends at the same time.
    If you have a pair narrow enough, perhaps you can do it between the pins.
    That's what I mean by "Improvise". Lots of ways to do the job if you have tools and know how to use them. A Chain tool kit just makes it so much easier.

GaryL
    jtstdub and Scooterbrained like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I used a tiny rat-tail file to open up the side plate holes a couple of thousandths so I could press the plate on the other side by hand. Then a pair of needle nose pliers did the job with the O-rings in place. You could also wind some 320 grit sandpaper around a small nail. It doesn't take much but you do have to hold the side plate in a vise.
    elime likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I suggest you purchase the correct tools for the job. They will last a life time and the money you save by trying to improvise will probably be spent on aspirin and band-aids. I say this from personal experience.
    Bill

Thank you all for the great advice. I’m gonna let my mechanic do it, hahaha I’m famous for screwing things up. Considering how I ride this is a once in a life time thing. Some things are worth paying for. Again, thank you gentlemen.
    Scooterbrained likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links