tw200 loosing power
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I did a stupid thing with my 96 TW200. I use it everyday so when I had a hard time seeing through the view-glass I added a bit. Of oil.

Like a good monkey I did it more than once. Well it started acting starved at the top of each gear.

I pulled the air filter- full of oil

I drained the oil and added the right amount (1.25 liter) and replaced filter-cleaned out box.

Drove it about a mile and it made a deep hollow sound and lost power and died.

I am thinking of some blown gasket or seal or seat or something even more disastrously expensive.

I got a exploded diagram and disassembled carb and scrubbed with solvent. still no start.

I am handy and have maintained it, changed sprockets for more speed/less revs and can work on it.

Get the name calling over, I am all of those things and more but can anyone help me save a noble steed?

I really really like her.

Just a shot in the dark, but have you re-checked your air filter?

There's a drain in the bottom of the airbox housing. It looks like a short piece of clear tubing flattened at the end. It's possible that there is still oil sloshing around in there.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

On Cali models it is also (remotely) possible that oil got into the canister or lines, causing the fuel tank to cavitate.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    On Cali models it is also (remotely) possible that oil got into the canister or lines, causing the fuel tank to cavitate.

Thanks very much. What a great paint scheem on your bike! At first I thought it was an old Norton. Are there some sort of compression seals or gaskets that can be blown out by too much oil/pressure. It sure felt like a failure of some pressure barrier? The mechanics seem straight forward and I have detailed manuals. What would you "peek" into first, the crank-case or the head?

Check your oil level again -- I'm pretty sure the correct amount of oil is between 1L and 1.1L, but certainly not 1.25L.

A "hollow" noise is kinda subjective. But in general one of two things tend to happen in an overfill situation. Neither would involve blown seals. One is usually benign, the other is catastrphic.

Within reason the crankcase vent protects your motor by dumping the excess pressure into the airbox. If you sufficiently overfilled it to the point of overcoming this ststem it would generally just stall from the pressure under the piston. Other bad stuff COULD happen, but generally not.

The second possibility would usually result from parking the bike with the airbox full of oil. The oil would then leak past the carb through one or both of the valves, filling the cylinder with oil. The next time you tried to start it the cylinder would lock up hydraulically, possibly breaking a piston, or bending a rod.

The same thing can happen if your carb float sticks open. Fuel will leak past the valves, filling the cylinder with liquid. Except that in the case of liquid gasoline it will leak past the rings into the crankcase at a much faster rate than oil. Left overnight it could fill not only the cylinder, but the crankcase and aibox as well. In this case your motor "gets it from both ends". No bueno. This sometimes goes undetected at first, simply looking like you absent mindedly overfilled.

Since your bike ran after you solved the overfill, I'm guessing that neither situation occurred, and that you just have some goofy fuel issue. Unless your "hollow" sound was a piston hitting a valve.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

thanks again,

I will do my homework and have details in hand when I return. I apprechiate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by learner View Post
    thanks again,

I will do my homework and have details in hand when I return. I apprechiate the help.

I gotta edit the statement regarding the seals. They COULD blow, but on a TW none of them would directly affect operation. You'd just have leaks around things like the kickstarter, shifter, etc.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hollow sound then loss of power... ouch.

Pull the spark plug out, turn the engine over & check for compression.

You didn't say anything about changing the oil filter with the oil...

did you change it? And did you check for the correct one, with the four holes?

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Thank you for the reply! I will check both of those things. I did put a finger over the plug seat and crank it and it tried to blow my finger off of the hole. I will check the filter though.

Thanks again,

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links