Flywheel
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Flywheel

Flywheel

I was attempting to remove the flywheel and I saw something say you can stick a small socket in there with the oem bolt and it would come off.
    So I tried this and now my flywheel bolt is stuck halfway down and just spins doesn't get any tighter or looser did I screw myself?

Ah nevermind
    Last edited by assquatch20; 10-06-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about the problem that you are having with your flywheel.

Here is what is going on with the TW flywheel and crankshaft.

The flywheel is mounted onto the tapered end of the crankshaft. It is secured from rotating with a Woodruff key, and is tightened down by a bolt that threads into the end of the crankshaft. To remove the flywheel, you must first remove this bolt, which it sounds like you succeeded in doing. The next step is to thread a bolt, or an actual flywheel puller as shown below, into the internal threads of the flywheel. The TW's rear axle is the correct thread and can be use to do this also. As this bolt is tightened, the flywheel will be pulled free from the tapered crankshaft. All threads are standard right hand threads.

TW Flywheel.jpg

I would try gripping the socket with some Vise-Grips or Channel-Lock pliers and then unscrewing the bolt. Then see if you can secure the flywheel from turning and then try to remove the socket without damaging the internal threads on the flywheel too much. Then you should be able to use a proper sized bolt/flywheel puller/rear axle to get the the flywheel to pop free. The proper thread size needed is 16mm x 1.5 RH MP.

Best of luck,

Brian
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 10-06-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added thread size

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Okay so I was dumb and read a thread wrong and I put a small socket into the inside threads of the crankshaft and doing so it wegged the socket into the internal threads on the crankshaft is there anyway to drill it out and retap the internal threads or would I just have to replace the entire crankshaft

And does anyone know the thread size n thread pitch of the flywheel bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard View Post
    Okay so I was dumb and read a thread wrong and I put a small socket into the inside threads of the crankshaft and doing so it wegged the socket into the internal threads on the crankshaft is there anyway to drill it out and retap the internal threads or would I just have to replace the entire crankshaft
    Is there any way that you could use a socket extension or a bolt to engage the socket and then try to carefully unthread the socket from the crankshaft?

Sadly it flattened the top of the socket so it doesn't even have a hole anymore I don't know what to do

Here's a picture of my total fuck up.. can't believe I did this to myself
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you considered using extractor bits?
    But without involving any hammering to prevent any damage to the crankshaft.
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by YamTW87 View Post
    Have you considered using extractor bits?
    But without involving any hammering to prevent any damage to the crankshaft.
    I agree with the above approach. Are we looking at the square end of the socket? If so, there should be enough meat there to drill out an opening in the center for a flat bladed screwdriver or a decent sized extractor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links