Concern?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Concern?

Concern?

Picked up an 06 Tdub with almost 4000 miles on it. When I did an oil change I came across some metal shavings. Like 3 Hopefully a pic will work. Anyways. Should I be concerned? It runs fine. Been in desert and around the area going 55 or 60. No leaks. Seems excellent. But thought I’d ask the pros. Thanks!
    Wade
    littletommy likes this.

With 4000 miles on it most of the junk found in the oil during oil changes should be minimal. Did you happen to know how often it was serviced by the previous owner? It could be that he didn't change the oil for a long time?...

I wouldn't be concerned about it. I like to change my oil every thousand miles and I use Mobil 1 4t synthetic.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I did an oil change and when I did the filter that was with it was wrong size... ordered some on amazon. Yea not sure but I would say he seemed meticulous. But who knows I used yamalube. Side note. Ordered a cyclerack. Should be any day. Stoked!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So it may not have been filtering all the oil correctly with the wrong oil filter? (not sure)

Had he used a wrongly packaged filter from Yamaha with 2 holes instead of the required 4, it would have burned up the top end. YES, they are still out there for those reading...

Always check for 4 holes.

I'd put synthetic in it next oil change.
    Last edited by littletommy; 10-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    MtnMan75 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Do you have a picture of the filter? I'm curious what was in there.
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 TW200 "Timba Wattla"
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Yea I saw all the posts about the 4 hole. It’s a 4 hole. The Yamaha lube came in a box of 4 with a filter. Like a kit. He gave me a few helmets and other things. When I did the change I opened the box and complete dif filter. Much bigger. I typed in the numbers and it said it fits tw200 or something. But I did the change and left the old one in and ordered the new ones on amazon with 4 holes. I’ll change it again after a few hundred miles and check it out. Keep you guys posted.
    littletommy and MtnMan75 like this.

That looks like a fairly sizable chunk of metal. I bought my Tdub with 800 miles & have changed oil & filter three times. Normally all I find in the pleats of the oil filter are very very tiny metal shavings & very few at that. Less metal shows up with each subsequent oil change. I also change oil & filter every 1000mi. Currently using Yamalube but will switch to Rotella T6 the next change.
    littletommy, Darth and jbfla like this.
    Ride like your life depends on it.

Yes, that is an unusually large piece of metal. Since you have no idea of what the PO did with the bike I would treat it as a new break-in and inspect the filter at 100 and 200 mile intervals at first. No need to change the oil, just inspect the filter. If there is more metal (hopefully not THAT big) keep washing the filter at 200 mile intervals. If the metal goes down rapidly you are OK. By 4,000 miles there should be almost no metal so clearly the PO didn't do things correctly.
    This is mine at 3,000:

TW200 oil filter at 3000 004.JPG

Just a little aluminum at the top....all the rest is soft carbon.
    jbfla likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Yes, that is an unusually large piece of metal. Since you have no idea of what the PO did with the bike I would treat it as a new break-in and inspect the filter at 100 and 200 mile intervals at first. No need to change the oil, just inspect the filter. If there is more metal (hopefully not THAT big) keep washing the filter at 200 mile intervals. If the metal goes down rapidly you are OK. By 4,000 miles there should be almost no metal so clearly the PO didn't do things correctly.
    This is mine at 3,000:

TW200 oil filter at 3000 004.JPG

Just a little aluminum at the top....all the rest is soft carbon.
    Rocky, what filter is that? The ones I always get from my local Yamaha shop are grooved like the Hiflo TW200 filters, not smooth like yours appears to be. Curious as to what you're using and if there is a benefit.
    2010 TW200
    2005 TTR 250

That is the OEM filter that came with all three bikes. I prefer it because it is easier to clean than the pleated kind. However, when I ask the Yammie dealer for a spare using the same part number I get a pleated filter. So I have a pleated filter sitting in my parts drawer since 2010 and kept cleaning the original until I sold the bike at 16,000 miles. As far as which one is better, the Forum has been arguing about that for 15 years.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links