Close

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Senior citizen
  • 9 Post By TW-Brian
  • 5 Post By Senior citizen
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: Clutch return spring

Clutch return spring

Some time ago, I read several posts regarding the torsion spring being installed incorrectly on the push lever.
    Been having a little trouble with my 2003 that I recently purchased, I decided to check it out and see if mine was correct.
    Low and behold there is no return spring so I purchased one from our bike shop. Never gave it much thought on how
    difficult it would be to install.
    It appears that the push lever will need to be removed from the transmission in order to fit it on to the shaft. It had shifted fairly well when I purchased the bike and again after re-adjusting the clutch play. Do not mind removing the shaft if it doesn't require pulling the case apart.
    Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem? It is a fun bike and have put somewhere over 1000 miles on it a little over a month.
    New to forums, so if I don't respond quickly, I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Senior citizen; 10-07-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    littletommy likes this.

Hi Senior citizen, and welcome to the forum!

I have never heard of that spring being missing completely!

To install a new spring, the left side engine cover will need to be removed in order to access the screw that secures the clutch activation post. This screw is visible in the center of the picture below, and once this screw is removed the post can be pulled out so the new spring can be installed.

IMG_2624.jpg

TW-Brian'

Just installed the missing clutch torsion spring today and wasn't sure if it would make a difference. I was wrong, it appears to be shifting better and makes it a bunch easier to find neutral. Will need to ride it for a while to see how it holds up.
    The screw inside the cover holding the shaft in was very tight and needed the handy Vessel Impact Tool to loosen in case any other TWer's need to replace the spring. The forum knowledge also helped in my not pinching the wires when fitting the case back on.
    You guys are great, thanks for a great forum.
    Ron D.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ron, it's good to hear that you got that screw out and the the missing spring replaced.

Thanks for reporting back,

Brian

Sponosred Links