TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Calling all 15 tooth owners.

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BUMBLESPECIMOODA 
#1 ·
The last bike I rode before buying this TW, was my DR650...so it's understandable that I'm always running out of gears when travelling slab, to and from work.

I've ordered and received a 15 tooth front, but I remember years ago when I put a 42 tooth on the rear...it was great for asphalt, lousy on trails...especially when I rode 2-up.
So before I go through all the effort of installing the 15T...I thought I'd get some opinions from other 15T users, either for or against.

I'm in the "over 200 lb" class, but I still want to be able to climb the hills....am I going to lose too much torque by going with the 15?
How much more top-end did you get from this mod...do you think it is worth doing, if not...why not?

#2 ·
These might help:

https://sprocketcalculator.com/

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

One tooth difference on the front sprocket equals three on the back more or less. So it would be comparable to a 47 tooth rear sprocket. There's a big difference in 47 and the 42 you previously tried. My personal experience was I wished I had put on a 15 tooth sooner.

Reactions: turbodieseli4i6
#3 ·
Unless the front sprocket is already worn and in need of replacement I would just put a 47 on the rear, same difference actually and a much easier change. You won't lose much on the bottom end or gain much on the top either way you go but the 47 rear seems to be what most road riders like. Going with the 15 front and 47 rear IMO would be disastrous for any deep off road riding.

GaryL

#6 ·
You are not going to gain more top speed (if that is why you are looking for 6th gear). You will have slightly less vibration (if that is why you are looking for 6th gear). If you have hills on your drive, you may have to shift to 4th sooner; but that might work out better on those hills.

#8 ·
I was seriously considering a change to a 15 front/47 rear. I primarily ride on the street around town with a little dirt road running. The comments are causing me to rethink this idea. Thank you! Are there likely to be post on this forum somewhere about rider's impressions of different sprocket combinations?

Reactions: littletommy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.