• 1 Post By RATEL407
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By RATEL407
  • 1 Post By RATEL407
  • 2 Post By Darth
  • 1 Post By Scooterbrained

Thread: First TW200 build: Electrical

First TW200 build: Electrical

As a my first build is going according to my expectations - that is the electrics are puzzling - I need some help before my wife realises my bravado is based on little real knowledge.

I am taking over a project from someone else who has done some wiring already. I have a CDI unit which was not connected in anyway(left) to the bike whilst on the bike was what I think is a later CDI unit (right). My question is: "Am I correct?" and if not, what is the unit on the right of the image.

Hope someone with some experience can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy likes this.

Welcome to the forum!!

The year of the bike would help and also the numbers on the CDI.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Well the year of the bike is difficult as the VIN on the frame is JYA3AW00000102842. As far as I can make out, that is an old bike, pre-2001 yet the bike has a disc brake. so I think it is a "composite" bike and the year becomes less relavent.
    The numbers on the two parts are: Left (CDI) 2JX -MO 123 and Right: 5LB-00 484
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Found it - it is a CDI unit post 2001! thank goodness. Now to wire it......
    littletommy likes this.

I tried my friend and I can't find what year it is or what year those CDI's fit. I'm thinking that you have an European or Asian model TW and those don't correlate with our USA Vin number system. Perhaps someone else here can figure it out and will post an answer for you. You might try contacting a Yamaha dealer near you and ask.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Good!! That explains the disc brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RATEL407 View Post
    Found it - it is a CDI unit post 2001! thank goodness. Now to wire it......

Quote Originally Posted by RATEL407 View Post
    As a my first build is going according to my expectations - that is the electrics are puzzling - I need some help before my wife realises my bravado is based on little real knowledge.
    NEVER let 'em find out about that!
    And welcome to the Forum...
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    NEVER let 'em find out about that!
    And welcome to the Forum...
    Never say Never? Or Always . . . . unless . . . . . UNLESS?? Whats an unless?
    Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!
    Last edited by Scooterbrained; 10-21-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    '16 Yamaha TW200 '08 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad '07 Kawasaki KLX250 '93 BMW R100GS Bumblebee (Mothballed)
    '99 Tacoma SR5 4WD '58 Willys CJ5 '90's Honda 4514 hydro riding mower '90's Honda 5013 compact tractor 4WD & 4W Steering

You can use either CDI but you will need the stator that supports that CDI, and the wiring harness that goes with them.
    The 2JX-M0 is for 87 only and is not advisable to use as it is very old and already may not work.
    The 5LB-00 is the predecessor to the 5LB-01 and fits 01 to 17 at least. Do you have the plug for it? It uses a stator with 3 white wires for the charging system,
    Red and white for pulser coil and brown and green for exciter. If this is the stator you have it should be easy to wire up. The ignition system is magneto driven and has no connection to the charging system.
    Last edited by tombauer; 10-23-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Sponosred Links