Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By AKTW
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 4 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Ignition Key won't turn

Ignition Key won't turn

When I bought my 09 TW used, I noticed the metal around the key was bent like someone really turned the key hard a few times. The key is very "sticky" and doesn't want to go in all the way and b/c it won't go in all the way it won't turn.

I am thinking about buy a new ignition key switch (Main Switch Steering Lock 5LB-82501-01-00). Which would be about $100 for an OEM replacement. On ebay I see cheap ignition and gas caps for $30. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, is it easy enough to replace? Are the ebay kits any good?

I am not too concerned about losing the helmet lock, I prefer to carry my helmet around with me as it makes me look like a tough biker.
    littletommy likes this.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

Get a new key made. It's hard to mess up an ignition switch. It's probably ok and most likely got bent because you have to depress it before turning it and the previous owner probably didn't do that.
    Ken and Tweaker like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I know it is hard to mess up an ignition, certainly never had it happen before. I tried using my other key and it went in fine but the turning was stiff and clunky.
    2017 KLR650
    2009 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well that sounds promising. Why don't you lubricate it and work the action several times? That should free it up some.
    Scooterbrained likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

If the metal flap cover is compromised from some fool poking a screwdriver into it then it is likely there is crud and corrosion inside the tumblers. Typically I would only recommend using dry lube such as graphite in an ignition switch but in this case you might need to use a wet spray to clean out the junk. At times I have seen recyclers selling the entire set on Ebay and this solves the issue of having to have 2 or 3 keys to work all the locks. I personally have never used the helmet lock and I always remove the locking pawl from my gas tank caps so the only real key I actually need is the ignition one. The idea behind the gas cap lock has more to do with safety than it does with theft of your gas. You must turn the engine off to unlock the gas cap while filling the tank. Any aftermarket ignition switch that fits, works and has the correct wiring will do just fine and whatever you do have a couple extra keys made immediately.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Another option that entails a bit of labor but may save the OEM switch is to dismount it and put through an ultrasonic cleaner with both key in, & then key out of the tumbler. A lock pick, or similar probe, can be used to cycle individual tumbler pins up and down looking for, and correcting, any sticking pins that may be source of initial reported problem.
    Good luck.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Ken
    My ignition lock is getting really sloppy. I may take it to a locksmith and see if they can replace worn tumblers and springs at a decent price. If not I may replace mine.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Sponosred Links