Who carries an air compressor and, which model?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Who carries an air compressor and, which model?

Who carries an air compressor and, which model?

Hi gang,
    Well, I got new skins on the Dub and, in doing some soft sand trails, I found that, running around 8-9 psi, sure helps it float through a bit easier. But, upon re entertaining the pavement, having that low of air pressure is NOT GOOD! So, I need to find a small but, efficient and DEPENDABLE air compressor. Now, I know there’s some logistics and operational parameters here to be taken into account. By some of those I mean, just what kind of “spare” electrical power is available to run ANY electrical accessories?
    There are a couple of really small compressors on Amazon that might fit the bill for my application but, unlike my Honda GL1800 Goldwing, which has gobs amperage that can be used for the Slime compressor I carry on that bike, I have no idea what the little 12V T-Dub System will power up. I’d sure hate to buy one that I think will work, only to find out the Dubs 12V system/battery can’t make it work or, it maybe works but very poorly.
    So, if any of you serious off road Dubbers carry one, what’s the model and specs? Thanks way in advance.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

Although I mis-spoke a couple of times, I hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 10-28-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    Nichea likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

You could carry a battery powered compressor with you i guess. They are the size of a cordless drill. Work very well, I use mine at trail rides, although i leave in the truck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post

Although I mis-spoke a couple of times, I hope this is helpful.
    Thanks Larry , this is a cool little compressor and all I would need on the T Dub.

I like the little $10 ones from WALMART, so affordable that I've given an old one away to forum member then simply bought another. Having no worries about theft means I can leave it unattended in my bike rather than carry it on my frequent off-bike hikes. I would not do that with a $80 unit.
    The duty cycle is so short for our tires that current draw is minimal & failure from over-heating have not been issues for me. I would go with a higher priced one if you wish to rapidly air-up full size truck tires, otherwise the $10 units will do the job if you take a periodic cool down breaks .
    Plus the investment is so minimal that I was not apprehensive to chop the current one up for needed wiring for a legitimate emergency back country repair. Had it been an 80 dollar air compressor I instead would have chopped up turn signal and horn wiring to get the needed wiring. Bottom line was wiring was needed and something simply had to donate the wires. Once home everything got soldered back together and restored to service.
    Additionally if you have a compact LiPo4 battery the available space created in the battery box has been used by others to store the guts of these mini-air compressors once their housing was removed.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-28-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    jtstdub, buellzebub and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I carry a bicycle hand pump instead of electronic. Doesn’t pump as fast as the electron models, especially as I age.
    buellzebub, ejfranz and Willys714 like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I've carried a Slime compressor for several years. If I'm using it with the Dub the engine is kept running and rev'ed up to keep the battery charged.

Hey Gang,
    I most certainly appreciate all of you getting back here with ideas and experience in the use of air compressors for T-dub application. I've had plenty of different 12V models during our Jeeping career and presently, I'm using a C02 system for that. I also have a Viair 400P for backup, if and when needed. But, for carrying in some sort of pouch or bag, on the T-dub, I need COMPACT, efficient and dependable. I'm not looking to air up from zero psi to 30 psi. Since I might run the indicated 8-9 psi for soft riding and sand (I really don't like sand while on the T-dub), and, I might be quite a few miles back to camp/home on the pavement, I'd like to just top them off from the 8-9 to say, about 18 for the street. So, if this works, this is one I'm looking at:

Scott

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultr...56622764&psc=1
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

I found CO2 cartridges fine for topping off a tire for transitioning from low PSI to street pressures. However several cartridges are just inadequate for replacing lost air in a puncture scenario. Electric pump permits frequent & repeated re-filling of a punctured tire on ride home. Very, very few of us can claim to have successfully broken the bead on a TW's rear tire and replaced or patched the tube in the field.
    If one is counting on a field repair of a rear TW tire I strongly urge them to first attempt at home in the dirt with only tools and equipment planned to have always on the bike....no getting a stand, or forgotten tool, or rag to clean up the inevitable dirt on bearings or axle..that is cheating! If you can't do it at home you probably won't be able to do it in the field. They are definitely not the flexible 21 inch tires from our past.
    The listed Dynaplug would work, and would be more compact if the carry bag and plastic housing were omitted.

P.S. RideOn tire sealant and balancing compound can often negate the need for a pump. The peace of mind having RideOn in both tires is worth the cost of admission. Like me you may one day notice a worn, scratched up nail sticking out of the tire and ask yourself "Gee, wonder how long that has been there, tire is still properly inflated".
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I carry a Best Rest products Cycle pump. Yes it is a top of the line pump. Price reflects that. I have broken down a TW rear tire in the field with the tools I carried. I now carry better tools, spare front and rear tubes, an electric pump and Co2 cartridges. All this is bulky and heavy but if you like rides like the White Rim at Moab then you need to be prepared to get yourself home. For what it is worth check out the Best Rest web site. He carries things that will get you home from the back country.
    Fred and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Me and my white mule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links