Bought a used TW in great condition.... destroyed engine within 10 minutes . Help! - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Bought a used TW in great condition.... destroyed engine within 10 minutes . Help!

I was just kidding about the lake thing. Haha. We try to help as much as possible around here but we do joke a little too.

I would check ebay for the engine. You could also look at CL. Sometimes I have seen wreaked ones fairly cheap. Good engine with bend forks and frame damage. If you dare, look for a tt225. You can swap those on the TW frame. Buy the shaft extension for the front sprocket and have a 6 speed and more power. I am simplifying that but it has been done on here a few times. It may even be cheaper in the long run.

Edit XT225
    Last edited by Apolloha; 11-03-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: wrong bike
    Trail Woman and JagLite like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Sorry to hear about your engine problems. Where are you located? There may be a forum member nearby that might have a bottom end available.

Brian
    Fred and JagLite like this.

Hydrolock would lift the head gaskets rather than pushing past the rings – but no matter – let’s just deal with the matter in hand. The only reason I questioned what had happened, is that it can narrow down the solution

1: Anything bought from any source with regards to engines is an unknown quantity – it’s pretty much a crap shoot as to what you get
    2: I have never seen a TW crankshaft sold on its own. Back in the day, you could get a re-conditioned crankshaft for most multi-cylindered engines, but I’ve never laid sight on one from a TW. This is just my personal experience, and if someone else wants to chime in, I’m happy to be contradicted
    3: This implies that by purchasing a TW “bottom end”, you will also be duplicating the cost of the cases

I’m tempted to suggest trying to flush it through and hope for the best, but there are a lot of bearings in there, not just the crank. That leaves you with just one choice. A complete replacement engine, because like it or lump it, that’s what you’re now facing

The TW is a hardy beast, but it doesn’t like water sitting for any length of time in the crankcase – no engine does

Good luck with your search ……
    YamTW87 and JagLite like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

ouch 😕

Ok,
    I must have missed something in all this discussion. You're saying the engine is destroyed? And that includes the bottom end? What, may I ask, is wrong with the bottom end? Crank bent, rod bent, won't turn, gears noisy, won't shift, just wondering what's totaled on it. If a new piston, rings, possibly rod, pin, gaskets are the fix, how's the head and combustion chamber look? Valves? Sure seems kind-a odd that, it could be running like a top, then in only 18" of water, that engine is destroyed but, I'm not an aficionado on these.
    Scott
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

Regardless of whatever the cause was the plan to move forwards sounds like a complete rebuild.
    Another option might as TW-Brian suggests a partial or total engine replacement. Several of us have replaced our stock TW200 engines with modified XT or TTR225 engines thus have mostly complete stock TW engines sitting around. One may be purchasable.
    A third option is an essentially complete built-up motor like the one forum member CJ7Pilot may still have for sale.

However never being one to miss a chance to muddy the waters may I ask if the dealer's newly installed oil filter had 2 or 4 holes at one end? The inappropriate 2-hole filters are proven causes of top end oil starvation for many years yet somehow some still occasionally surface in the parts supply stream. If you had a 2-hole filter installed then the top end failure is both understandable & predictable.

Sorry for your predicament.
    JagLite likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
    Ok,
    I must have missed something in all this discussion. ...
    Scott
    Yeah, you missed something. Did you look at the photos? If the crank looks like that what would the gearbox look like? I assume all that damage was already there or occurred in the two weeks at the dealer......which would be nearly impossible to achieve. When you stall the bike in 15-18 inches of water it is because of the carb air vent being closed off. You would have to drive the bike into 5 feet of water at full speed and hold the throttle open. That is the only way you could get that much water into the bottom end.
    Purple and JagLite like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

CJ7Pilot's engine is sold I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Regardless of whatever the cause was the plan to move forwards sounds like a complete rebuild.
    Another option might as TW-Brian suggests a partial or total engine replacement. Several of us have replaced our stock TW200 engines with modified XT or TTR225 engines thus have mostly complete stock TW engines sitting around. One may be purchasable.
    A third option is an essentially complete built-up motor like the one forum member CJ7Pilot may still have for sale.

However never being one to miss a chance to muddy the waters may I ask if the dealer's newly installed oil filter had 2 or 4 holes at one end? The inappropriate 2-hole filters are proven causes of top end oil starvation for many years yet somehow some still occasionally surface in the parts supply stream. If you had a 2-hole filter installed then the top end failure is both understandable & predictable.

Sorry for your predicament.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Once again why you NEVER take anything to a dealer. He just set it out back in line with the rest of the stuff ahead of you. A MONTH later your wondering why you have rust in the crank case.

YOU could have easily drained the engine and changed oil a couple times and saved yourself a big head ache. Looks like time for a engine swap. However if you can't pull a drain plug or check a dipstick the cost may be to high to hire it done. IMHO.
    JerseyJeeper and JagLite like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Ken
    Typically these bikes will go all the way over your ankles in water without an issue and almost to your knees. If your foot pegs were barely in the water it wasn't deep enough to get water in the engine through the intake or exhaust and the engine would barely even be touching the water. They will die easy in a water crossing if you don't lay on the gas due to extra resistance from the water pressure. As to the damage in your engine, I think that was done long ago. I have over 46,000 miles on mine now. I have ridden through water over my ankles on multiple occasions and at 42,000 miles my engine was spotless compared to that. Sorry to hear about the bad news. There is no telling what that engine has been through so it may be best to replace it to get you up and going and then tinker and rebuild at a later date.
    JagLite likes this.
    1993 TW200 just over 46,000 miles

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links