Bought a used TW in great condition.... destroyed engine within 10 minutes . Help!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Bought a used TW in great condition.... destroyed engine within 10 minutes . Help!

Angry Bought a used TW in great condition.... destroyed engine within 10 minutes . Help!

So I have a very depressing story. After reading many reviews on the TW200 and what a tank it is I bought a used 2002 in great shape. 7100 miles on the odometer, original owner, mainly used to get around the lake the owner lived on. First thing I did was get a new set of tires put on and then took it on a ride. After putting around our pasture for a bit I decided to cross a stream that was maybe 1.5 - 2 ft deep. The water was about up to the bottom of the frame/close to the foot pegs. Halfway through the engine died. I pushed it out and waited awhile before trying to start it. After an hour or so of trying to get it started I towed it back to the house, removed the plug, and flipped it upside down and turned over the motor. The next day it still wouldn't start and compression was only 60 psi. Uh oh. I took it to the dealer who was to supposedly have changed the crankcase and engine oil. After 2 weeks they informed me its going to need a new top end.

I took it back home, ordered the parts, and started to take the top end apart with some assistance from a friend. I quickly found the total engine was trashed (see pictures below). I drained the crankcase and a ton of water came out. Needless to say, I am extremely dissapointed. I heard this engine was bullet proof but a small creek that Ive been through with dozens of others bikes and ATVs no problem did it in. WTF? Unfortunately I cannot find new parts anywhere. Any ideas on bottom end replacement? I think I can refurbish the top end with new pins, pistons, rings, gaskets, and light machining. Any help would appreciated. And if I do manage to get this fixed, any idea what caused it? Im assuming water being sucked up through some sort of hose or vacuum line or something.

IMG_29061001.jpgIMG_29071001.jpgIMG_29081001.jpg

Bummer...
    Jon62602 likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Wow. That is a lot of rust. That didn't come from you getting the skid plate wet. That thing has had some serious water intake at some point. Possibly even a leaking carb with ethanol gas. That stuff will draw water from the desert. No matter what caused it, you have quite a job ahead. There are many places to get parts. There are several folks on here with their own stash of spare parts along with lots places ready to separate you from your money. Boats.net is one that has a good rep. Partzilla, yamahapartshouse, babbittsonline, etc. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole looking up parts just google "Yamaha tw200 parts diagram".

I would say your creek crossing likely got water in something on the electrical side. I have also read of some vent on the carb causing sudden engine shut down. You may rebuild it and still have to trouble shoot the original problem. I'm sure the folks on here will be of great help with this soon.
    JagLite likes this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear of your problem. I can only imagine your disappointment. Good luck.
    JagLite likes this.
    2017 TW200
    Shrinko SR241 front tire
    Seat Concepts seat
    DID XV428 xring chain
    JT sprockets - 47T rear
    WPS Lithium battery
    IMS Super Stock footpegs
    Small rear luggage rack
    Removed front fork side reflectors
    Removed passenger foot pegs and mounts
    Removed some decals
    Modified license tag mount
    White front fender
    White headlight cowl
    D-FLEX handguards
    LED headlight - soon

If you disassembled it and took those pics fairly soon after it quit, I agree with Apolloha, that's a lot of rust. I'd be inclined to believe water had been in that engine a while. Kinda hard to tell from the pics. Don't see how water would have got in it with water only up to the footpegs, but on my TW 1.5 - 2 ft is higher than my pegs. You might be better off looking for a complete used engine.

Mike
    Last edited by Gruff54; 11-03-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    joeband and JagLite like this.

If you take a running TW, lay it on its side in 18 inches of water for a few minutes, then give it a mechanic who doesn’t do anything about it for a couple of weeks – yeah – I can see that much rust happening

The carb vent unless modified can cause a bike to stall, but only until you get it onto dry ground. There are ways around that that we’ll save for later though

Care to fill in the gaps in the story ?

Welcome to the board by the way .....
    JerseyJeeper and JagLite like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

You don't mention where you are or where the bike was before you bought it. I have a sneaking suspicion the bike was in a flood zone at some point. Do some research regarding where the bike came from. We get lots of shady car dealers up here who buy cars that were under water and clean them up to look good but they always have serious issues just from being drowned.

GaryL
    joeband and JagLite like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Just to clarify, I don't believe there was water in the engine previously. The previous owner was an elderly fellow who I doubt even took it on anything other than some gravel roads and such. It really was in almost perfect condition, no major scratches, dings, or damage. Compression was good and the engine ran like a champ. Also to clarify, it was quite a bit of time between the initial incident and the teardown. Over 1 month at least. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the dealer supposedly drained all the oil, but I don't think they did. After sitting for a month or so is when I started the teardown and quite a alot of watery oil came out of the crank case. At this point I would like to try and find a complete bottom end instead of piecemealing it. I think the top end can be salvaged as I already have all the new parts and access to a machine shop.
    JagLite likes this.

I went back and re-read your original post. I caught this : "7100 miles on the odometer, original owner, mainly used to get around the lake the owner lived on." Case closed. That's where your water came from.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I think it is too much of a coincidence that the bike ran great, good compression, etc, up until the point I took it into water and it died. I suspect it was suffered hydrolock, damaging the rings, piston, or rod (leading to the sudden drop in compression) Coupled with it sitting for some time with water in the top and bottom end I feel that is the culprit.

Regardless it doesn't really matter, as the cause has no bearing on how I fix it. Again, if anyone knows of a bottom end for sale in good shape, that would be much appreciated. I've seen a few on Ebay, but am a bit leary on purchasing.
    JagLite likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links