loss of power after replacing chain & sprockets?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I feel my TW has lost some of its power, especially going on a gradual uphill, since I replaced the chain and sprockets. Is this normal? Is the bike just adjusting? My old chain would take slopes like a champ, but it was on its last breath and the sprockets were too, so I replaced them with a much better chain and new sprockets, but since then my bike barely wants to go uphill, top speed about 40ish. This happen to anyone?

Completely unrelated or maybe not, but the rear wheel is starting to lose traction and slip on curves. Mechanic said the wheels had life left so I don't know what to make it. Any suggestions?
    2009 TW200, first time rider!

Is there a chance your rear brake is adjusted to tight?

Did you change tooth count when you changed sprockets?

Alignment of your chain?

Just a couple of idea's.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

hmm interesting, do you think the tightness of the rear break might be the problem? I like the rear break just a bit tight since a loose break makes me edgy. I took the TW to the yamaha dealership to get it fixed so I don't think chain alignment or the sprockets are the problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by decade03 View Post
    hmm interesting, do you think the tightness of the rear break might be the problem? I like the rear break just a bit tight since a loose break makes me edgy. I took the TW to the yamaha dealership to get it fixed so I don't think chain alignment or the sprockets are the problem.

When I bought my KLR, I had to explain to the "mechanic" who was giving me the obligatory walk-around that the KLR is, in fact, a carbureted motorcycle, so don't assume that the boys at the dealership service department are necessarily master mechanics. And sadly, a simple bike like the TW is quite likely to be handed off to the newest guy in the shop.

Put your TW up on a stand, milk crate, or swingarm jack (i.e. the famous crutch jack) and see if the back wheel spins freely once off the ground. If the brake is too tight it'll be easy to tell.

If that's not it, count the teeth on your sprockets to see if they actually did put a 14t on the front and a 50t on the back. Everybody makes mistakes.

They might have even overtightened your axle, who knows?

These are pretty easy things to check out yourself, go for it!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    When I bought my KLR, I had to explain to the "mechanic" who was giving me the obligatory walk-around that the KLR is, in fact, a carbureted motorcycle, so don't assume that the boys at the dealership service department are necessarily master mechanics. And sadly, a simple bike like the TW is quite likely to be handed off to the newest guy in the shop.

Put your TW up on a stand, milk crate, or swingarm jack (i.e. the famous crutch jack) and see if the back wheel spins freely once off the ground. If the brake is too tight it'll be easy to tell.

If that's not it, count the teeth on your sprockets to see if they actually did put a 14t on the front and a 50t on the back. Everybody makes mistakes.

They might have even overtightened your axle, who knows?

These are pretty easy things to check out yourself, go for it!

Thanks man, i'll definitely check the things you mentioned. I'm starting to suspect they made some mistake

Did you go to an O ring chain? They can be a little stiffer than a worn out standard chain and might rob a little power.

I suspect the rear brake is tight.

I agree with bullspit O ring chains will make you loose quite a bit of power actually. But they last longer. I know this because my buddy works at a shop with a dyno and he dynoed his RMZ450 suzuki for fun with regular DID ERT2 gold non o-ring chain, bike made around 56.6HP then he put his brand new RK o-ring chain and he re dynoed it and it was down to 54.1HP that doesnt seem like much it is over a chain.
    ALEX-

My Current Rides:

DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (full mod Gf's bike)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2009 qlink XF200 (sumo build)
    2007 SDG 140cc big bore (supermoto)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

I'd agree with braking being the first thing. The other suggestions are worth looking into as well. Switching to an o-ring chain will make it a little more sluggish, but not as much as you're reporting.

Slim chance, but they may have pinched a wire getting your sidecover back on and that's causing issue. Or the regular old carb issues from sitting a little while or some dirt getting in there.

As a first time rider, I will tell you that you should do your best to start being self-sufficient on bike maintenance. That doesn't mean to get in over your head, but read up around the site, or about bikes in general. Those little maintenance things are a lot more common with bikes, and when it's a brake or chain adjustment, your wallet will thank you if you know how to do it yourself. It just gets too expensive when they charge you for an hour what takes 10 minutes, not to mention a lot of shops simply don't have true professionals in there that will make themselves familiar with a particular bike before they go to it.

I have taken benefit from Dan's MC Repair Course online. I'm trying to link it to you, but the forum is giving me issues right now. Just look it up. It'll teach you a lot of the basics, then you can come here and fine tune that knowledge for your bike.

novice question: how do you loosen your rear brake?
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Quote Originally Posted by jckosnow View Post
    novice question: how do you loosen your rear brake?
    where that long arm meets the smaller lever attached to the drum brake?
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links