Stock number of links?
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member bikerjosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    1,066
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock number of links are for a stock combo 14/50 sprocket set up on a 2001 TW?

    Trying to calculate how many links I need beyond standard, for my 55 and 3" stretch. looks like I need 17 links more than stock, but I don't know what stock was. (yep, recycled the chain w/o counting links)

    Thanks Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

  2. #2
    Senior Member srs713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Smyrna, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,417
    122!
    Stephen S.

    '07 TW200:

    15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

    tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

    Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

  3. #3
    Senior Member pgilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock number of links are for a stock combo 14/50 sprocket set up on a 2001 TW?

    Trying to calculate how many links I need beyond standard, for my 55 and 3" stretch. looks like I need 17 links more than stock, but I don't know what stock was. (yep, recycled the chain w/o counting links)

    Thanks Josh


    https://tw200forum.com/forums/76358/ShowPost.aspx
    Sold bike.



    Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member bikerjosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks srs713 and pgilles.

    Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

  6. #5
    Senior Member bikerjosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    1,066
    Ok, realize I have a new issue. I know the number of links I need, can I combine links from two seperate 428H chains. I have one that is 122 links and one that is 132 (both unused) need 137 links.

    thanks
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

  7. #6
    Banned qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Tennessee
    Posts
    10,664
    Yes, as long as both chains are the same type.




  8. #7
    Senior Member srs713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Smyrna, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjosh View Post
    Ok, realize I have a new issue. I know the number of links I need, can I combine links from two seperate 428H chains. I have one that is 122 links and one that is 132 (both unused) need 137 links.

    thanks


    Yes, if you are willing to have two master links.



    Some people will tell you that master links are the weak point of a chain, and you shouldn't have even one if you can manage that. I don't see it that way. I've heard of chains breaking in a lot of places other than the master. For my 2 cents, just make sure you get the clips on properly and keep the chain lubed.
    Stephen S.

    '07 TW200:

    15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

    tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

    Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

  9. #8
    Senior Member bikerjosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks. Will do. Other than throwing chain lube is there a problem with over lubing? It's not dripping off or anything, but I frequently lube way more often than reccomended.

    Thanks



    Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post


    Yes, if you are willing to have two master links.



    Some people will tell you that master links are the weak point of a chain, and you shouldn't have even one if you can manage that. I don't see it that way. I've heard of chains breaking in a lot of places other than the master. For my 2 cents, just make sure you get the clips on properly and keep the chain lubed.
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

  10. #9
    Senior Member lizrdbrth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Desert, SoCal
    Posts
    7,369
    There is no such thing as overlubing a chain.



    I take it you got your swingarm back. I'd like to hear your riding impression after your trip.



    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

    Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  11. #10
    Senior Member bikerjosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    1,066
    No swingarm yet. My buddy in Grass Valley was getting hammered with other work, so I had him box it up and mail it to colby in southern cal. Hoping to get it back, and put it together so I can take it to DV on the 27th.

    Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Performance Links
    By joedirt1970 in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
  2. WTB DID X ring chain links
    By aladdin in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  3. OE Chain Links
    By ebikerman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 05:38 AM
  4. How many links for a 15/50 setup?
    By Beewerks in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 10:06 PM
  5. Number of chain links needed?? Time is running short
    By bikerjosh in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM