TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Tools

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pritch 
#1 ·
I am looking for a small torque wrench that would be good for working on my 2001 TW.

I need to do some work and want to get the torques correctly.

I am looking for something that can be used to do the small things so the low end torque numbers are desirable.

Thanks

#2 ·
Torque wrenches come in both Foot pounds and Inch pounds in the US scale. I have never found the need for an inch pound torque wrench on motorcycles simply because I am not that anal and few parts on any MC are that critical in the lesser torque ranges. Much different when you get into deep engine repairs where Foot pounds of torque could be pretty critical. During Vietnam and working on helicopters we had torque wrenches in all the various sizes and scales and the parts truly were highly critical where torque values were concerned so you would never over torque and break a bolt off in a very costly part. On a TW or any other MC for that matter, I honestly can't think of any part that requires exacting torque values in the lower ranges. Tight is tight and too tight is never good where aluminum is concerned so just don't get too rambunctious on the little shit. Head torque does matter but not so much as to be tight as it is to be even all the way around.

GaryL

#5 ·
Yes Rocky, as you have noticed I am sure, Yamaha does not pay close attention to their own torque specs in the initial build of many of the smaller parts. More so with the TK carbs in my experience and I have found both the float bowl screws and the float drain screw unbelievably tight considering their tiny size. Another thing we noticed while working on the choppers with small parts is you can torque a screw to spec, say 20 Inch pounds and a few days later the same screws take 30 or more inch pounds to loosen. This was a very common occurrence especially on small but very high pressure hydraulic pumps. Some of this has much to do with the basics of dissimilar metals forming a bond and heat produced when the pump was working at full operating temp.

I just swapped the wheels and tires on both of our SUVs yesterday. The aluminum rims had been balanced and installed at a local tire shop with the standard air impact drivers. I have a nice battery powered electric impact driver I use and on each wheel there were a few lug bolts that I had to use a breaker bar to loosen while other nuts came off quite easily. I do always use Never Seeze on all my vehicle lug bolts when I DIY this swap and also whenever I install a TW side cover.

GaryL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.