Other fuel cap options
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FWIW I discovered that some Honda caps fit the early TW tanks perfectly. This one came from my ATC Big Red, but odds are those from other Honda ATV's and street bikes may fit as well if you're having issues. Some may even fit the later tanks with the small diameter caps:

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks. I'll have to check the Honda dealer to see if I can get a gasket for the '95. My cap is fine and I disabled the lock but the gasket is cracked almost in two. It's not a listed OEM Yamaha part.

Tirebiter - Did you have any luck finding a fuel cap gasket? Mine doesn't sound quiet as bad as yours but has seen better days on my '95. I was surprised that this isn't available as a separate part. The Honda ATC gaskets are available but wanted to confirm they work before buying one.
    '95 TW200G - TCI skid, ProTaper bars, amber Jimbo, DMO pegs, IRC GP-1, DG-O w/TTR230 header, Brisk BR12ZC, ProCycle jet kit, K&N filter, DID x-ring, TCI Sequoia rack, storage tube, JNS light

'04 Buell XB12S Lightning - Drummer exhaust, race ECM, K&N, open airbox, RC right side scoop, Corbin seat, fender eliminator Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deton8r View Post
    Tirebiter - Did you have any luck finding a fuel cap gasket? Mine doesn't sound quiet as bad as yours but has seen better days on my '95. I was surprised that this isn't available as a separate part. The Honda ATC gaskets are available but wanted to confirm they work before buying one.
    No I'm sorry to say that bike project lost it's priority to a couple more important ones. I did see where a Kubota generator cap gasket (#12521-41340) is supposed to fit too but there isn't a Kubota dealer near me and the shipping cost is kind of high online. I do need to deal with that soon tho. When I do I'll post back here.

Personally I think it's kind of ridiculous the price they charge for these OEM caps.

The Yamaha part, 48Y-24602-00-00 costs 115 bucks at the dealer or about 80 bucks online from your parts guy de jour. Meanwhile people are selling them on ebay for 105 dollars (and people are buying them.)

I don't get why commonly replaced parts cost so much and yet other parts for the TW are reasonable. A cross reference list with part numbers so we can find them later would be great! The 'gas hole' is huge compared to any of my other street bikes, so I'm no good here in terms of telling you what fits.
    1993 TW200

I didn't like the look of the stock cap and didn't want it locking so I looked around and found the gas cap off a Yamaha FS1 fits perfectly. I bought a reproduction one off eBay for like $27. It's chrome with the Yamaha fork logo on top. Works great!

They exist, but I don't have any more. But FYI here are the two sizes for older and newer tanks.

They are vintage; I doubt they are being reproduced, but they may have been used over a far greater span of years than any of us realize. My shop guys salvaged a bunch from a throw away bin behind a Yamaha dealership a couple of decades ago.

Proudly display the tuning forks if you can get them. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    They exist, but I don't have any more. But FYI here are the two sizes for older and newer tanks.

I saw that kind of cap on a TW once and I asked the guy where he got it. He told me it came from a Yamaha generator.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Same type of cap I bought that was reproduced. Got it from this guy on eBay: http://bit.ly/109Occ9 link probably won't work since I'm posting from my phone but look up 'Yamaha fs1 fuel cap' it comes up with ones with the forks and ones without. Seller is 'yambits' comes from over seas. They sell reproduction parts. I think they're also where I got my fs1 round headlight from for my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by deton8r View Post
    Finally, I can follow up. I've been at the cabin without internet and other luxuries of life on the grid....but there is a Kubota dealer nearby and I finally got the gasket that was reputed to fit early gas caps. It wasn't in stock but they ordered it and it cost $8. The I.D. is so close to identical to the Yamaha gasket that I can't tell the difference. The O.D. is slightly larger but when I put it on the cap it fits just fine. The thickness is real close but the Kubota part has some ribs molded in. I think that is actually better than just a flat gasket. The lock has been disabled on my cap and it tightens perfectly and doesn't leak when I slosh gas around in the tank. I'll give it a 10.

Pics:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links