Runs Great,,, then....not so great?? Help please.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    i finally got the title to my 1987 (with 1700 miles on it) tw yesterday and went and got registration and tag and set out for much anticipated ride. i have ridden close to home for past month or so with little to no problems. took carb off when i first brought it home and cleaned to best of my ability, at the time i was able to extract the main jet for cleaning but could not get the pilot jet out...so it didnt get cleaned. ok, so it starts right up and runs great, i get going (still running well) and head down the road. runs good for about half mile to a mile (getting up to around 35 or 40, then it begins to backfire, cut-out and eventually die, and wont immediately crank back up. if i sit for a few minutes it will start back up and go for another mile or so and then die again and i have to wait and then go again. to me it seems to be burning the fuel thats accumulated in the bowl and then is starving for fuel?? any help is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by abartlett355 View Post
    i finally got the title to my 1987 (with 1700 miles on it) tw yesterday and went and got registration and tag and set out for much anticipated ride. i have ridden close to home for past month or so with little to no problems. took carb off when i first brought it home and cleaned to best of my ability, at the time i was able to extract the main jet for cleaning but could not get the pilot jet out...so it didnt get cleaned. ok, so it starts right up and runs great, i get going (still running well) and head down the road. runs good for about half mile to a mile (getting up to around 35 or 40, then it begins to backfire, cut-out and eventually die, and wont immediately crank back up. if i sit for a few minutes it will start back up and go for another mile or so and then die again and i have to wait and then go again. to me it seems to be burning the fuel thats accumulated in the bowl and then is starving for fuel?? any help is greatly appreciated
    Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Have you checked for good gas flow from the petcock? There is a little bowl on the bottom of the petcock that you can take off and clean, look for junk in it and clean it out. I think there is a screen in there as well that you should check. You might try Lucus deep fuel cleaner to further clean out the carb as you drive. It did wonders for one of my bikes. Hopefully, its not the cdi going bad.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'd pull the fuel line off of your carb and check the flow out of your petcock. If the flow there looks good you may have an issue with your float or float needle valve.

"EDIT" oops lil tommy beat me to it. What he said!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the replies. i am going to check the petcock bowl, screen and line to carb. i had it off the other day and did have flow, how much should be flowing out (just a trickle or a good solid flow)? and what is cdi?

You want good gas flow, a solid stream.

Some 87 TW's had CDI problems. You can type in: "CDI" in the search area of the TW forum website and find members questions and answers regarding CDI's.

Rainman came up with this link:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Please keep us posted on what you find out.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I would also check the fuel tank vent.
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

Have you checked and changed the oil? My CRF230L did the same thing when I first got it. Ran for 5 minutes, died, and wouldn't start up for at least 3-5 minutes. Run for a few more minutes, die, wait, start, repeat.

I had checked the oil level prior to riding and it was OK - almost black but I figured one little ride wouldn't hurt before changing it. After barely getting the bike home I changed the oil and it had a watery consistency. The bike only had 2100 miles on it, so god knows what happened...maybe it was the break in oil or something long overdue thanks to a dumbass previous owner. :/

I changed the oil, and that alone solved the problem. Not one single engine cut out or miss since now at 3900 miles.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Toyanvil View Post
    I would also check the fuel tank vent.

check what all these guys said...do you have a stock tank?...not sure exactly how the stock tank vents cause my tank was changed out right when i bought it due to a leak in the tank...i do still have the tank and gas cap so if you end up needing a cap i could sell you the one from my 2000 (just would need to get another key made for it)...i believe the key stays in the stock TW tank cap lock when you take the cap off right?...if this is the case and you have 2 keys just put the key in and loosen the cap a bit and use your other key to start the bike and ride around to see if that is the issue

my other bike would do exactly what you're describing and i had a gas cap venting problem...either the hose was kinked or the valve on it was junk (see first photo)...i also noticed when i bought the bike that this hose was disconnected so i pulled the hose back off the cap and rode it and it rode fine so i would just put it back on when i stuck it in the garage...after a while of doing this i just bought one of those dirt bike vent tubes which you can see in the second photo...on my TW i have a clarke tank so i put the same type of vent tube on that as well (see third photo)

Its 26 years old

Tank is FULL of who knows what

Pull the petcock itself for a flush and in the case of little crap

Get a PAPER filter type gas filter pilot jet smaller than many screens

Run the next 4 tanks with double dose of Seafoam, Seafoam works overnight so be patient

Thank you to everybody who replied, greatly appreciated. havent been able to work on it yet, but when i do im gonna check out the petcock cleanliness and check the float (it was sticking pretty good when i went to clean it the first time). hope that gets it. a buddy of mine owns a small engine repair place and he said hes got an associate that has a michine that cleans carbs? says it come out looking like new...anyone ever tried this?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links