Front end swap 2006 to a 1999
Close

Hey, guys and gals, new to site, been a stalker for couple years,I reside in thomasville ga, fell in love with the TW got three now. Got a question can I swap out a front end from a 2006 to a 1999 I seen where there was a little different brg setup between the two but didnt know if it could be frankenstined into working without to much trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a complete front end with wheel, caliper and m/c it's a bolt-on.

The fork tubes, upper triple clamps and lower right legs are all identical except the late models won't have fork drain plugs.

The lower triple clamps are nearly identical but the late model triple has a tapped hole for the brake hose bracket, so it's best to use that or drill and tap your early one. The boss for the bolt hole is already there.

The late model clutch perches are different and use a larger diameter safety switch. Either use your early perch or rewire the early plug to the late switch. The brake light switch on the m/c side will need an early plug end grafted to it.

The late model start/kill switch is oriented differently on the bars due to the master cylinder. If you use the early switchgear the "start" button will point at the ground.

Those are all the details I can think of. If you have all the stuff it's pretty easy.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGIA BOY View Post
    Hey, guys and gals, new to site, been a stalker for couple years,I reside in thomasville ga, fell in love with the TW got three now. Got a question can I swap out a front end from a 2006 to a 1999 I seen where there was a little different brg setup between the two but didnt know if it could be frankenstined into working without to much trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks alot will try this week to make it happen, just to know it can be done gives me the ump to do it.

Another nicety for later on is the late model's charging system. Extremely easy if you have the entire bike but a complete nightmare for most people if you don't. The resetable trip meter is also very handy.

Other things which may be handy are the engine side cover and oil filter cover bolts which are 8mm hex bolts. The Phillips types on your early model are demon spawn. You can just transfer these bike-to-bike without disturbing the gaskets.

I like the late model's buttonhead allen bolts on the footpeg, passenger peg mounts, exhaust and elsewhere. They cut down on the tool load and are a bit more flesh-friendly.

Eyeball that late model for things like that before you dispose of the remains. Not many things on them are "better" than the early models (a few things are worse, like the kickstands....), but most are at least the same. A lot of those parts can come in handy down the road if you get really into modifying he TW. You can modify the clunker's parts while yours stays roadworthy.

Oh, you'll also notice that the late model's right footpeg bracket is marginally stronger since the bolt heads are fully shrouded and countersunk into them. It wasn't broke, but they fixed it anyway. "Look, we drilled a different hole, changed the BNG's and upped the MSRP by $400 this year! Way better than a kickstarter, no?" Personally I'd rather mine bent before they destroyed the frame lugs, but it might be of interest to some who don't share my point of view.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Another nicety for later on is the late model's charging system. Extremely easy if you have the entire bike but a complete nightmare for most people if you don't. The resetable trip meter is also very handy.

Other things which may be handy are the engine side cover and oil filter cover bolts which are 8mm hex bolts. The Phillips types on your early model are demon spawn. You can just transfer these bike-to-bike without disturbing the gaskets.

I like the late model's buttonhead allen bolts on the footpeg, passenger peg mounts, exhaust and elsewhere. They cut down on the tool load and are a bit more flesh-friendly.

Eyeball that late model for things like that before you dispose of the remains. Not many things on them are "better" than the early models (a few things are worse, like the kickstands....), but most are at least the same. A lot of those parts can come in handy down the road if you get really into modifying he TW. You can modify the clunker's parts while yours stays roadworthy.

Oh, you'll also notice that the late model's right footpeg bracket is marginally stronger since the bolt heads are fully shrouded and countersunk into them. It wasn't broke, but they fixed it anyway. "Look, we drilled a different hole, changed the BNG's and upped the MSRP by $400 this year! Way better than a kickstarter, no?" Personally I'd rather mine bent before they destroyed the frame lugs, but it might be of interest to some who don't share my point of view.

Thank you,, yes I want to use everything I can from the 06 to the 99,, the 06 frame got bent in the swingarm area, I wanted to swap motor,front end and skin to 99, the 99 has 8500 miles the 06 only has 2100 miles,, I also have a 96 model that has 1500 miles on it just needs carb rebuild and new gas and little tlc been sitting for some time three four years. Im from thomasville ga about 30 miles from tallahassee fla, I can find tw's pretty regular within 100 mile radius for some reason, mostly on craigs list. like my status says NEWBIE to the tw world but have fell head over hills for them "oh wait thats how I felt about my wife" but seriously any info that might help, that yall can throw my way. I will eat it, digest it, and crap it out and make it happen. Im going to check out in forum about adding kickstart to 06 model. good idea or bad idea?? pros/cons..

Quote Originally Posted by GEORGIA BOY View Post
    Im going to check out in forum about adding kickstart to 06 model. good idea or bad idea?? pros/cons..
    Definitely a good idea. The one that I added to my '05 has come in handy on several occasions. Even though my right leg is pretty worn out from kicking over big thumpers, I often kickstart my TW just for the fun of it because it is so easy.

Sponosred Links