TW is shocking in the wet
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    think my front brake light switch is on the blink

got electricuted in a downpour today - ok was a major major downpour - bike was wet for hours..

actually only happens when braking whilst the indicators are on?!!!!!

so if I'm signaling left and hit the brakes and my gloves are soaking wet - youch!!!!

anyone have any ideas?

or just the brake switch?

is it the inidcator shorting somewhere?
    2001 TW200 - supertrapp stubby exhaust

1996 CRM 250 - 2 smoker - FMF exhaust

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

Your sayin your getting a electrical shock from your 12 DC elictrical system large enoungh to be un-comfotable but not enough to drain the system or burn fuses or any wiring? You might have picked up another source like a down powerline or water soaked underground utility conducting through the water. It doesn't seem right.

havent looked yet.. but I am extremely sensitive to electric shocks.... and yes when it hit me it could have been dangerous cos I instantly let go of brake.. reflexively.. it was enough to feel a bit of pain - I have arthritus on my hands maybe thats why?

I guess my question is *where* should I be looking?

1998 Honda CB600 Hornet - ( a.k.a Honda 599 ) - micron , ohlins rear - CB600F3 front forks..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I dont think the 12V DC by itself will shock you, it sounds as if the voltage produced by the coil /or magneto that supplies the spark to the spark plug is jumping to the turn/brake light circuit somehow.

Hi Dub Step!(Just a guess)Mabe its jumping across from the coil output to the brake light wiring (that wiring passes right by the coil Assy beneath your tank) if there is much dust and exposure to moisture the dust can form conductive tracks and with the high voltage trying to jump the spark plug gap it (The energy pulse)might take the shorter path to ground and go through the brake switch on the lever to you when things are really wet.

You might clean and inspect the group of wires beneath your tank. and look for bare wire near the harness clips and tape them up for good measure.

Ride Well!
    For inquires please email me at Hidden Content for ordering info. If requesting a shield please include :NAME,FORUM NAME,PHONE #,SHIPPING ADDRESS,AND COLOR CHOICE,(Jet Black, Smoke Grey, Crystal Clear, Dark Blue, Neon Edge Glow -Light Blue & Neon Edge Glo Hi-Vis Orange )

RIDE WELL, JIMBO C.

yeah its not right.. actually it got me on both hands.. so its making the whole bars live I guess..

its definitely the bike cos when I got home - I nervously tested the theory... brakes only no problems.. indicator and brakes... ouch! and I mean a very strong urge to immediately let go... i didnt repeat the experiment.................

actually its my wifes bike - and she rides in the rain often - she never reported this! ( trust me she doesnt hesitate to complain! )

she tends to cover it up all day tho where as I left it exposed as I had too much stuff to take the cover with me...

thanks! the coil theory is something to go on as i guess it doesnt seem like 12 volts.. ( should I try a 12 volt shock as a test? would that invalidate my health insurance i wonder ?! )

If it were me I would not worry about understanding the wizard magic of electricity in this case, not at first anyway. My solution would be to crack a beer and start methodically wading through your wiring harness in search of exposed wiring or damaged insulation. I would probably start with the stator harness where it comes out of the left case cover because that is a pinch point and the stator puts out plenty of juice. If there appears to be any pinching you will have to pull the stator cover off, slice into the outer wire sleeve and inspect further. Then work your way up to the CDI/STATOR/MAIN HARNESS juction, inspecting all wires and bullet connectors for propper appearance. break out your multimeter or current indicator light and check for continuity across all unions. I know Im probably not telling anyone anything they dont already know, but I will tell you that under the right circumstances the CDI and STATOR can be very sensitive and suddenly go out.(about four-six kicks for my hollow mod with pinched stator wires was all it took to roast the source coil.) And the cost is much greater than that of a six pack of beer and a saturday afternoon. As much as six hundred dollars +/-. Bottom line, inspect your electrics prior to any further testing. Loss of spark is an indicator of a bad day brewing. GOOD LUCK!

P.S. Another thing to consider is that if the shock is coming from the bar then it could possibly be the wiring in and around the front brake light switch or the turn signal switch. the close proximity to your wet hands could....COULD be enough to give you a little zing I would think....but probaly not.
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

yeah I need to get out there!

actually once when on the computer I felt electric tingles from my USB - I got the meter out on it and it wanst my imagination.. 12 volts from somewherE?! seemed my USB hub was shorting a bit. so I am sensitive to electricity it seems - I got electrocuted on 240 v a few times as a kid.. dont ask me why but I picked up what I thought was a wooden stick and poked a light bulb for some reaosn.. the stick was actually bronze or other alloy metal... stupid kid I did it again cos I couldnt believe it!!!!

anyways - what would I measure the voltage on the handle bars too? i mean that the earth is already positive - so what do I measure it against? since I dont wanna electrocute myself again..

I guess I will see if there's anything exposed around there...

thought with DC the muscles locked?

Quote Originally Posted by dubstep View Post
    yeah I need to get out there!

actually once when on the computer I felt electric tingles from my USB - I got the meter out on it and it wanst my imagination.. 12 volts from somewherE?! seemed my USB hub was shorting a bit. so I am sensitive to electricity it seems - I got electrocuted on 240 v a few times as a kid.. dont ask me why but I picked up what I thought was a wooden stick and poked a light bulb for some reaosn.. the stick was actually bronze or other alloy metal... stupid kid I did it again cos I couldnt believe it!!!!

anyways - what would I measure the voltage on the handle bars too? i mean that the earth is already positive - so what do I measure it against? since I dont wanna electrocute myself again..

I guess I will see if there's anything exposed around there...

thought with DC the muscles locked?
    I remember one time as a kid, that my dad was going to replace a burnt out lightbulb in a lamp and as he was walking out of the room, he say's...don't put your finger in there...well, needless to say...he no sooner got out of the room and I had my finger in the socket!! Yeah, I remember that day.

You would think I would have learned...

Then there was the day I peeded on an electric fence just to see what would happen. Yes, electricity travels upstream.

I have hated getting shocked ever since. I don't stick my fingers in sockets anymore or pee on electric fences.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by "lil" Tommy View Post
    Then there was the day I peeded on an electric fence just to see what would happen. Yes, electricity travels upstream.

Me too!!!! I was really drunk at the time.....

Hopefully I'm a little smarter 50 years later.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links