High Idle - Hot Engine
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just got my '06 back from the shop for a carb rebuild. It runs good but when I stop in neutral it revs really high, pops a wheelie when I hit first.

The engine seems pretty hot but I'm a total noob, how long does it normally need to sit before it cools enough to touch?

Could the high idle and overheating engine be related? If I sit in neutral for a minute or two it slows down. Thanks.

I think I'd take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it right. It's likely a kinked or pinched throttle cable.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Thanks, I'll check the cable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Cable's fine...

Cable's fine, still revs high and then slows down. Could someone please offer some advice?

Sounds like it could be running too lean. Try adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw out some. The dealer may have set it to factory settings which tend to be lean.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Kwame View Post
    Just got my '06 back from the shop for a carb rebuild. It runs good but when I stop in neutral it revs really high, pops a wheelie when I hit first.

The engine seems pretty hot but I'm a total noob, how long does it normally need to sit before it cools enough to touch?

Could the high idle and overheating engine be related? If I sit in neutral for a minute or two it slows down. Thanks.
    I hesitate to comment since I couldn't help you last time...but here goes...

You have an air cooled engine. A high idle when the bike is not moving will cause it to overheat.

Have you checked the throttle stop screw?

If the idle is OK when you first start the bike, but doesn't return to normal idle when you slow down to a stop, the carb is set either too lean or too rich...... Yes I know... doesn't make sense.

Both conditions can cause the problem.

Pull out the choke part way while the engine is high idling. If the engine returns to normal idle, the carb is too lean.

If the engine starts to run rough or stumble when you pull out the choke, it is too rich

.... Or it could be something else completely.

I agree with r80rt. You paid good money for the carb rebuild. Take it back to the mechanic and get them to fix it.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

That is very helpful. Much appreciated. I'd call the shop but they're closed till tuesday and I want to hit the mountain this weekend.

I made the adjustments and it seems better but a small amount of oil is still appearing on top of the engine, not enough to drip. Is that normal when overheated? Oil level is normal.

I've kept her moving, air filter and intake are clean. I have no idea how hot the engine is supposed to be. It seems hot enough to start melting the spark plug wire.

Did it have a oil change while it was at the dealer? They might have put in the wrong oil filter? Have you checked for oil flow at the little bolt on the head? Does it really seem hotter than it was before you had it worked on?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Kwame View Post

I made the adjustments and it seems better but a small amount of oil is still appearing on top of the engine, not enough to drip. Is that normal when overheated? Oil level is normal.

I've kept her moving, air filter and intake are clean. I have no idea how hot the engine is supposed to be. It seems hot enough to start melting the spark plug wire.
    Can you be more specific as to where the oil is "on top of the engine"?

The engine shouldn't be hot enough to melt the plug wire, but it will easily burn your hand.

Follow Tommy's advice, loosen the weep bolt on the engine cylinder to make sure oil is getting to the top end of the engine.

When you loosen the bolt, oil should seep out of the hole.

If you take the bolt completely out, you will have a stream of oil running down the side of the engine.

At least you will know if the top end of the engine is being lubricated.

If no oil comes out of the weep hole, you likely have the wrong oil filter, and you are looking at an engine rebuild if you keep running the engine.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links