Stock tires
Close

Thread: Stock tires

I went for a quick ride accross town today and got up to 60 mph on part of the trip for about 5 mins. and noticed that the front and rear stock tires both had the feeling of either being out of round or out of balance or both. Has anyone had their tires and wheels balanced or trued to round to correct that and was it successfull in smoothing out the rough ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman1970 View Post
    I went for a quick ride accross town today and got up to 60 mph on part of the trip for about 5 mins. and noticed that the front and rear stock tires both had the feeling of either being out of round or out of balance or both. Has anyone had their tires and wheels balanced or trued to round to correct that and was it successfull in smoothing out the rough ride?

I had assumed that the riding character on-road of the TW was a little rough and tumble due to the knobbiness of the tires and the nature of the suspension, but I was dead wrong.

I would highly recommend investing in some Ride-On tire balancer and sealant. I put Ride-On in my tires after I upgraded the front to the SR244, I had held off until then because I knew a front tire upgrade was in my near future.

Before I put in the Ride-On the handling of that oversized front tire was unacceptable, but after I bit the bullet and invested in the 3 bottles it takes to do both tires the handling of the bike is better than ever, and I mean by a long shot. I honestly don't think that the tires were ever anywhere close to being balanced before.

I put in the Ride-On for its sealing properties, but I absolutely love it for the perfect balancing that it offers.

Search Ride-On in the forums, I'm not the only converted devotee!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I bought a Harbor Freight tire balancer years ago ($40). You would be surprised at the number of weights needed to get them balanced correctly. I use the football shaped lead fishing weights that I drill to the spoke size then slice them like a hot dog bun. These feel more secure than the stick on weights. Real easy to use and never any wobble problems. For the money you won't be disappointed.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

Sponosred Links