Problems after dropping on its side?
Close

Hey all, new to this forum and new ower of a TW but not new to bikes. My wife and I picked up a 2007 TW200 for her to ride with me. Its a California bike so it has the evap stuff. Everything is 100% stock on this bike with only a few miles. An older couple had owed it to ride around a camp site after they parked their motorhome. Anyway, first ride out and my wife breaks her in rite by dropping it on its side, low speed no visable damage but when I helped her pick it up (bike was laying over center down hill) gas was coming from the overflow. No big deal, I let it sit for a few mins as she walked it off and then I went to go start it up for her... no start.. just cranked and cranked. After messing with it for a few mins I finally got it started by holding the throttle open and cranking. We had about 10 miles to ride back to the truck with no issues. The bike has sat for one week in my shop when yesterday I went to go start it up and it did the same thing, lots of cranking with no start. I was able to get it started but it runs really rough. I happened to unplug the hose coming from the carb to the evap can and it runs a lot smoother. I then shut it off and checked the oil and the oil sight glass was full when the bike was on its side stand after letting it sit for 10 min or so... odd. So I opened up the oil fill plug and the smell of gas hit me. No big deal, know that it was probably from being upsidedown. So I drained the oil and put fresh in then started it up again and it fired right up but when I got to plug the evap line back in to the can its like it chokes it out and wants to die. Right now the bike runs good with the line unplugged from the can and even runs good with my thumb over the line plugging it. What is the issue here?

Sounds like the evap canister got filled up. I dont have any experience with them, but I have heard stories about people with them and what can happen when too much gas makes its way into the canister.

Apparently if you fill it with gas the carbon inside the canister will turn from powder to a solid and not allow the gas tank to breath. What happens then is as gas flows to the carb negative pressure builds between the canister and the gas tank making it so that fuel flow from the gas tank to the carb is more difficult. Ultimately leaning out the engine so it runs like crap.

I would probably see if someone with a canister TW can verify this is possible on our bike though. Just an idea I had from reading your post. Not really sure what the fix would (not sure if you can just replace the powder or the whole canister) if this is your problem. Then again, you really don't need the canister to run the bike but it does have some perks apparently I know Lzrdbreath likes his.
    -Szj

2001 TW

Ya I have been trying to read as much as I can about this but this is my first Ca legal bike, we live in Wa state so no need legally for the can to stay on there. To maybe clear up what I did, I only unplugged the line coming from the carb at the can. Not the line coming from the tank. With the bike running good and the line unhooked, all I have to do is bring the line up to the evap can nipple and attempt to put it on and it chokes out. But if I plug the line with my thumb it still runs fine.

Could I buy a vented gas tank cap and plug all the other ports and be done with this mess? Im sure its not the last time she will drop her bike... she is new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just a guess... gas ran up into the evaporative can, causing it not to function.

Not making any recommendations... but perhaps that can could disappear.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Make sure you close the petcock in between uses. Sometimes the needle valve ages and lets gas fill and overflow the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
    Make sure you close the petcock in between uses. Sometimes the needle valve ages and lets gas fill and overflow the carb.

Ya we always close the petcock on both our bikes. Its been a habit for a long time now.

If you don't have any desire to modify the canister/vent lines, I happen to know there are a few folks out there with an unused canister in their parts piles these days due to installing lizrdcoolers in their place. I'm in NY, and am one of these guys.

That said, I've dropped my bike on the canister side before sliding down a hill and it didn't cause problems. If your carb float sticks a bit, there are many horror stories of the gas tank managing to empty a good bit of its contents into the cylinder through the intake boot, then leaking down into the lower case with the oil.

Sounds to me though, you're as nutty as I am about turning off the fuel supply when you shut off the bike, so I suspect it isn't your issue.
    --

1997 TW, well loved, a bit modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick26 View Post
    Hey all, new to this forum and new ower of a TW but not new to bikes. My wife and I picked up a 2007 TW200 for her to ride with me. Its a California bike so it has the evap stuff. Everything is 100% stock on this bike with only a few miles. An older couple had owed it to ride around a camp site after they parked their motorhome. Anyway, first ride out and my wife breaks her in rite by dropping it on its side, low speed no visable damage but when I helped her pick it up (bike was laying over center down hill) gas was coming from the overflow. No big deal, I let it sit for a few mins as she walked it off and then I went to go start it up for her... no start.. just cranked and cranked. After messing with it for a few mins I finally got it started by holding the throttle open and cranking. We had about 10 miles to ride back to the truck with no issues. The bike has sat for one week in my shop when yesterday I went to go start it up and it did the same thing, lots of cranking with no start. I was able to get it started but it runs really rough. I happened to unplug the hose coming from the carb to the evap can and it runs a lot smoother. I then shut it off and checked the oil and the oil sight glass was full when the bike was on its side stand after letting it sit for 10 min or so... odd. So I opened up the oil fill plug and the smell of gas hit me. No big deal, know that it was probably from being upsidedown. So I drained the oil and put fresh in then started it up again and it fired right up but when I got to plug the evap line back in to the can its like it chokes it out and wants to die. Right now the bike runs good with the line unplugged from the can and even runs good with my thumb over the line plugging it. What is the issue here?
    Have you checked your air filter?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick26 View Post
    What is the issue here?

Others have sussed the issue correctly. I had this happen on my non CA bike and I very quickly learned that the most important thing to do when the bike goes down and you can't get it back upright immediately is to SHUT OFF THE GAS!! It took me 20 minutes to start 'cause mine was upside down for at least five minutes while I struggled to haul it back up onto the trail. It coulda been bad because I was alone and 10 miles from the road.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks guys for all the help, I checked and cleaned and dried the air filter, changed the oil, removed the evap can and unplugged the float bowl drain from the little thing down on the swingarm and she seems to be running like a champ. Everyday this week it has cold started for me with no problems and runs really smooth and good so I think its fixed now.

I have coached the rider to try not to crash anymore but if she does.. try and pick it up as soon as she can or at min turn the fuel off. The crash that did the bike in she was unable to pick it up so she had to wait for me to get off my bike a few yards up the road and hoble down there in riding boots to help lift. TW=heavy pig.

Thanks for all the help folks, it really is nice to find good forum communities like this.

Sponosred Links