blinkers not working
Close

Ive got a 1989 tw200 with a electrical problem. The blinkers dont work at all. They started not working by blinking slow, so i changed the bulb it worked. Now 8 months laster none of the blinkers work. I check for continuity on the two wires going to each rear turn signal which is showing they are good, closed circuit(each rear turn signal only has two wires) Where should else should i start?

I assume you checked the bulbs again? It's not likely that bulbs on both sides would be out, but we always want to check the easy stuff first. I've had brand new bulbs that looked fine be bad, so I always test them for continuity unless it's obvious a filament is broken.

If you can read electrical schematics download the TW service manual (stickied on this forum) and see if you can trace the circuit to determine the most likely culprit. You can use a test light to check for juice at key points in the circuit. While you're at it look for broken or chafed wiring.

Since all the blinkers are affected I'm guessing it's either the switch or the flasher. Here's an earlier post about fixing the switch. If that doesn't work take your flasher to the auto parts store and have them match one up. I don't ordinarily like to throw parts at a problem, but flashers are not usually very expensive.

That's my 2 cents, maybe someone will post up with better advice.

Oh, one other thing. Does the headlight come on when you turn on the ignition switch? I notice my switch is getting a little finicky, and occasionally I have to wiggle it a little bit to get the headlight to come on. If I remember right the turn signals won't work if the headlight doesn't come on. Anyway, something to check. I hope you can find the problem without too much trouble.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    I assume you checked the bulbs again? It's not likely that bulbs on both sides would be out, but we always want to check the easy stuff first. I've had brand new bulbs that looked fine be bad, so I always test them for continuity unless it's obvious a filament is broken.

If you can read electrical schematics download the TW service manual (stickied on this forum) and see if you can trace the circuit to determine the most likely culprit. You can use a test light to check for juice at key points in the circuit. While you're at it look for broken or chafed wiring.

Since all the blinkers are affected I'm guessing it's either the switch or the flasher. Here's an earlier post about fixing the switch. If that doesn't work take your flasher to the auto parts store and have them match one up. I don't ordinarily like to throw parts at a problem, but flashers are not usually very expensive.

That's my 2 cents, maybe someone will post up with better advice.

Oh, one other thing. Does the headlight come on when you turn on the ignition switch? I notice my switch is getting a little finicky, and occasionally I have to wiggle it a little bit to get the headlight to come on. If I remember right the turn signals won't work if the headlight doesn't come on. Anyway, something to check. I hope you can find the problem without too much trouble.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

where is the flasher relay located? I see two or three relays on the side of the bike and another one under the speedo. Which one is the blinker? thanks ill look at the schematic

Quote Originally Posted by thndrin View Post
    where is the flasher relay located? I see two or three relays on the side of the bike and another one under the speedo. Which one is the blinker? thanks ill look at the schematic

Its the one under the speedo, kind of on the left hand side.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Sponosred Links