stupid gasket leak
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: stupid gasket leak

OK guys I did it and now regret it. )o; At 10,000 miles on my 06 the base gasket had a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry small leak that I would wipe off every 100 miles at fill-ups.. That was with yamalube dino oil. I got talked into trying ams oil 10/40 full syn.......... Now it leaks like H%$^%&^*ll. 5 miles and I'm wiping.. I am so P%$^%&^*ed. I told myself "DON'T" do it.. OMM.

Yep. Them smaller molecules can find more holes in the fence than the bign's.

Try switching back untill you get that base gasket fixed. It'll slow it down a bit.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My 2005 was the same. No leak till about 5k miles. Soon as I put synthetic in it, it bled like a stuck pig. Switching back to dino did seem to slow it. This weekend I pulled the cylinder, the base gasket had almost completely disintegrated.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Me too! 2005 model and ran dino oil until last fall when I switched to full synthetic. Prior to synthetic - no leak. After the switch, I can see some moisture. Basically, I smell it more than it leaks. Mine does not leak like you all are describing, so I guess I'm lucky so far. I've not had to add any oil inbetween oil changes. But I keep a close watch on it just the same.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Hmmmmm...

This scares me a little. I was waiting until I had 2000 miles on mine and was planning on switching to synthetic. I wipe away a little film once in a while from one side of the head gasket, not much at all, but still...

I wonder after reading this, if I should just be happy with using non-synthetic oil.

I am getting ready to strip down the bike, do some painting, and spruce it up a bit soon. I'd be upset if I switched over and it started leaking worse than it is now. Thinking I better put new gaskets in the top end while it is down and maybe I should just stay with non-synthetic. Any comments?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I don't why I changed........ Well I do, My wife always complained that hers shifted harder than it should.. So I thought let's give full syn a try.. As long as I was changing hers I would change mine...... First thing I told her was, I sure hope they don't start leaking. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Oh I hate being right.. I have two 2010 gaskets in the bike shed just waiting.. DARN. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by omm View Post
    I don't why I changed........ Well I do, My wife always complained that hers shifted harder than it should.. So I thought let's give full syn a try.. As long as I was changing hers I would change mine...... First thing I told her was, I sure hope they don't start leaking. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Oh I hate being right.. I have two 2010 gaskets in the bike shed just waiting.. DARN. OMM.
    That is why I was thinking about switching over, for the easier shifting, but I think I am changing my mind..
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I too switched for shifting reasons. Synthetic oil may have some other great qualities, but I haven't really noticed a difference in regards to shifting, except for the first few miles after the change. Gonna stay with synthethic just the same.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I never really thought about until now, but mine started leaking after I switched to synthetic too. I'm doing a long ride this weekend and I'll probably try to tackle the gasket after that. Not looking forward to it

I wonder how many people out there only use non-synthetic oil?

It kinda seems like they have less problems.

I am thinking I am going to just keep using regular oil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links