Cyclinder Head Oil Check screw question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i have a question i was hoping someone can help me with. When i was changing the oil on my tw, i snapped the head off of the oil check screw in the cylinder head (the screw in the last pick of this how-to: https://tw200forum.com/forums/43754/ShowPost.aspx. When i ordered the replacement, i noticed the product number had changed to the following, 90153-06029-00 SCREW, HEXAGON; however, when i received the screw, it is double the size of the old screw. i started screwing it into the hole, but it started to give me some resistance about half-way to being in. I decided not to force it and did not use it.

Has anyone else had to replace this screw? if so, should i just go with what Yamaha is telling me and use this new screw that is double the size? this is possibly a stupid question with "yes!" being the obvious answer, but i just thought it was odd to see such a difference in the new part compared to the old one.

the part i ordered was tag 3 in the link below.

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=YAM#/Yamaha/TW200_-_TW200W1_-_2007/CYLINDER_HEAD/TW200W1_(2007_MOTORCYCLE)/CYLINDER_HEAD_(TW200W1_-_2007)

EDIT: im not sure why the link to the how-to is not working, but it is the oil change how-to pinned in this section
    2007 TW200 with a kick starter

So the old screw isn't stuck in the head? You got it all out?
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post

So the old screw isn't stuck in the head? You got it all out?

thank you for embedding the picture.

yes. by the grace of god, i was able to get the broken piece out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ace View Post
    when i received the screw, it is double the size of the old screw. i started screwing it into the hole, but it started to give me some resistance about half-way to being in. I decided not to force it and did not use it.

Hi Tom,

When you say "double the size" are you talking about the diameter or the length?

Quote Originally Posted by Old White Truck View Post
    Hi Tom,

When you say "double the size" are you talking about the diameter or the length?

the length.

I just went out and took my bolt out and measured it - the threaded portion is 10mm in length.

thank you for embedding the picture.

yes. by the grace of god, i was able to get the broken piece out.

You're very welcome. I'm happy that you got the old screw out as others haven't been so lucky. I have no clue as to why the new screw would be longer. Hopefully someone that has been in your shoes will chime in.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I just went out and took my bolt out and measured it - the threaded portion is 10mm in length.

I get the same measurement on the original one too. I'm not sure how long the replacement was because i cut it down to the size of the old bolt. My concern now is it looks like there is a little oil leaking from the screw hole, so i think my solution did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    You're very welcome. I'm happy that you got the old screw out as others haven't been so lucky. I have no clue as to why the new screw would be longer. Hopefully someone that has been in your shoes will chime in.

I am too. I didn't think i would be able to get it out, but persistence paid off. There was oil on the threads so i was able to unscrew it little by little using the tip of a tiny screwdriver. I don't know either. I'm going to reorder the part from Stadium and see if I just got the wrong part last time.

EDIT: Well scratch that. It's $15 to ship the screw and washer. I'll just go to the Yamaha dealer and order it.

I get the same measurement on the original one too. I'm not sure how long the replacement was because i cut it down to the size of the old bolt. My concern now is it looks like there is a little oil leaking from the screw hole, so i think my solution did not work.

I am too. I didn't think i would be able to get it out, but persistence paid off. There was oil on the threads so i was able to unscrew it little by little using the tip of a tiny screwdriver. I don't know either. I'm going to reorder the part from Stadium and see if I just got the wrong part last time.

EDIT: Well scratch that. It's $15 to ship the screw and washer. I'll just go to the Yamaha dealer and order it.

I had the exact same experience you did the first time I changed my oil, head snapped right off and I was fortunate enough to be able to back out what was left of the bolt with an eyeglass screwdriver.

I wouldn't waste your time or money ordering a machine screw from Yamaha. I bought a pack of Dorman Brand Class 10.9 Hex Flanged Cap Screws in size M6-1.0 x 10mm from my local Autozone and used one of them. I think the 4 pack was about $2.50.

The replacement works perfectly, and I make sure to only loosen or tighten this bolt with a bolt driver so I don't damage the threads with this much stronger fastener.

I couldn't find a perfect match even at Ace hardware, but the auto parts store had scads of em.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

HA HA HA HA HA!

After pulling my bolt out and measuring it an hour ago, when I went to put it back in, it broke off! - Holy cow poop!

Anyway, after 30 minutes of fiddling around I was able to get the broken piece out. (I used a center punch and a small screwdriver, but I ultimately had the best luck by taking the copper washer off the (broken) head and putting the head (that had 2 threads on it) back in there. The bolt had a bit of a spiral fracture and the when the head and the broken piece connected up in their original orientation they locked together enough so that I could get the broken piece to unscrew.)

DonBenito - thanks for the timely info. I was going to head to Ace Hardware, but after your message I will be making a trip to AutoZone and use one of those bolts until my next RockyMountainATV order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links