Striking Oil
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striking Oil

Hi guys,

Iv got a 2002 TW125, (I know, not a 200 but for Britain you can use L plates on it and not a 200) and having just bought it, I decided to give it a service. It had been sitting for a year, so any non willingness to start was just passed off as needing a service. Anyway,there I was removing the air filter cover, when about a half of a litre of oil spills out onto my feet. I naturally assumed, as I'm a newbie, that I'd done something wrong and had managed to strike oil somehow. I have read the owners manual, and it says the air filter needs some oil on it and soaked into it to work properly, but I wasn't expecting this. Anyway, I have replaced the filter (with what I thought was the right oil saturation) and am just wondering if its just some idiot who has put in too much oil into the filter years ago, or whether it's something more serious, and if it might cause any damage somewhere else. Or, that I'm an idiot and have gotten completely the wrong idea.

The crankcase breather hose might have been gushing oil for some reason. I'd be a bit wary and do an oil change with a proper new filter. Inspect the old oil as best you can for gas or metal shavings, and look at the filter as well.

Importantly, make sure the shop sells you the right oil filter, and (I'd imagine the 125 has this as well) use the bleed bolt on the motor once you've changed oil, and be on the lookout for your drain bolt to be stuck, just in case.

Reading up on the site will give you some insight into what to look for with these things, but it sounds like your motor was blowing oil for some reason. Either overfilled or a passage is clogged, which would be kinda bad. Make sure the bike is upright when you put oil in the motor or you'll overfill it waiting for it to show in the sight glass.

I checked the breather, it was well out of the way of the filter. I did an oil and filter change, the filter had a bit of shit in it but not that much, and when I got the oil out of the engine it was really black. I thought that if it had been using the same oil for years some would have gone out of the breather, but the oil in the air filter was much cleaner than the stuff that came out the engine, which is why I thought it was just someone over saturating the filter. Thanks for replying so soon!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you literally got a liter in there, I'd be confused.

However, it's very possible that your carb was clogged and blowing back into the airbox, mixing with filter oil. Did it seem like gas at all?

From what you're saying, I would go ahead and make sure your fuel system is all clean and get it running. Plenty of advice on here for that as well.

I will probably end up stripping and cleaning the carb, but for now it seems to be running ok. Thanks for the advice!

At some point during the bike's 1 year hiatus the float stuck and leaked the contents of the fuel tank past the rings, overfilling the crankcase with oil/gas. If started in that condition the oil/gas mixture will pump directly into the airbox via the vent hose. There is a drain for this. It looks like a stub of clear tubing, flattened on one end, located on the left underside of the airbox.

You've done right in cleaning the filter, as the above will also saturate the foam.

Do the carb service, check your float height and that the float valve is closing when the bike is idle and remember to always close your petcock after riding.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    At some point during the bike's 1 year hiatus the float stuck and leaked the contents of the fuel tank past the rings, overfilling the crankcase with oil/gas. If started in that condition the oil/gas mixture will pump directly into the airbox via the vent hose. There is a drain for this. It looks like a stub of clear tubing, flattened on one end, located on the left underside of the airbox.

You've done right in cleaning the filter, as the above will also saturate the foam.

Do the carb service, check your float height and that the float valve is closing when the bike is idle and remember to always close your petcock after riding.
    Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry good advice........... Always shut that pesky petcock. OMM.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've done a few carb strips, but none on my own bike. Just hope I don't ruin anything. The tutorials on here are great though, so I should be fine. Thanks a lot guys, I owe you one.

Minimus....keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by minimus View Post
    Hi guys,

Iv got a 2002 TW125, (I know, not a 200 but for Britain you can use L plates on it and not a 200) and having just bought it, I decided to give it a service. It had been sitting for a year, so any non willingness to start was just passed off as needing a service. Anyway,there I was removing the air filter cover, when about a half of a litre of oil spills out onto my feet. I naturally assumed, as I'm a newbie, that I'd done something wrong and had managed to strike oil somehow. I have read the owners manual, and it says the air filter needs some oil on it and soaked into it to work properly, but I wasn't expecting this. Anyway, I have replaced the filter (with what I thought was the right oil saturation) and am just wondering if its just some idiot who has put in too much oil into the filter years ago, or whether it's something more serious, and if it might cause any damage somewhere else. Or, that I'm an idiot and have gotten completely the wrong idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links