start up issues
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: start up issues

Hi guys.

Iv just bought a tw, which has been sitting for a while. I'v changed the oil, oil filter, spark plug and air filter, just as a matter of course. But, whenever I try and start the bike, I press the electric start, (its a 2002 model) and then the bike makes a strange sort of noise, like a cat that's just been stepped on. Is it the electric motor, or is the battery just getting flat? I have bump started it, and after that its fine, but quite often when I go to electric start it, it makes this noise. Any help would be great, thanks a lot.

well it is your starter. It could be the gears on the starter are bad but even worse if its the gear in the engine.

As an aside, you did make double sure that you installed the correct oil filter, didn't you?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, I'm pretty sure it is the right one. The thing is, it was doing it before the oil filter was changed, so I don't know. Is the starter expensive?

First things first. If your not sure you have the correct oil filter in, then check it now. It should have 4 holes in the end like this.

After making sure that is correct, lets tackle the starter issue. Too many bikes have had the wrong oil filter installed and it's not a good outcome. Congrats on the bike now lets get it going.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

I've just checked the oil filter, it has the 4 holes you described. What should I check next?

Quote Originally Posted by minimus View Post
    I've just checked the oil filter, it has the 4 holes you described. What should I check next?

Get a volt meter and check your voltage from your battery. If it's less than 12v, try and charge it first. If that still does not work try a new battery. Not sure where you are from , but if another TW forum member is close maybe he can help with the battery to check your starting issue
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

yep that sound's very recognisible.. i had that a month ago.. and it took a while to stop.. I didn't have enough time to see what was wrong internally.. but when i charged my battery and the air temp had gotten a little better.. it just fired up..

but that sound youre hearing is your starter motor not getting enough electrons to actualy do something.. so it thinks 'fuck it.. I'LL GIVE YOU SOME NOISE' so nothing to wurry about.. besides that.. you may wan't to check if your carb is working correctly (choke etc.)

maybe if you warm your bike up a little with a small heater??

anyway.. good luck dude!

[sorry for bad english ]

Thanks guys. Yes, after putting it on a charge the bike is now fine... apparently I don't know that an electric motor needs power to work, even though I'm studying mechanical engineering at University... face slap in order. Good hustle guys,

So glad it works now.. One thing that you learn about this great site is how helpful these guys are........ "REALLY". Best darn site on the net. Have fun with the new dub.. You're hooked now. OMM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links