Petcock repair
Close

Thread: Petcock repair

I tried to start my '95 last night and it didn't fire. It has spark. It ran in January when I bought it but the PO said he hadn't ridden it much last summer. Assuming the gas might be bad and the carb might need cleaning, I took the float bowl off. There were pieces of something in there and I noticed that the fuel line was dripping even tho it was on off. I drained the tank and took the petcock assembly off and the reserve (short) tube wasn't there. I was able to pull the tube out of the tank and put it back in the hole it came out of. I had to drive it in. It's a very tight fit. I've read that many of these tubes come out. That's why a lot of you run fuel line filters. I'm sure the junk in my carb was a result of the screened tube falling off. I will put a filter on when I put it back together.

My question is.... since I have the tube back in the petcock, is there something I can do to make sure the tubes stay in...hot glue, staking...anything? I was ordering gaskets and stuff anyway so I added a new petcock assembly, and o-ring/packing to fix the old one, to the order. Tubes falling out seems to be a recurring problem. Any ideas on ways to keep this from happening again?

Super glue???
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

If you really want to do it right buy a new one. It will be a whole lot less trouble in the long run.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

YA the dealer quoted me something like $13 for a new one. That's the way to go.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

I did order a new one but was just wondering if there was anything I could do to keep it from happening to the new one too. If I can fix the old one easily I'll stick it on the shelf as a spare.

Sponosred Links