MSR Billet Bar Ends Installation?
Close

Hey all, I had a run-in with some layered wet leaves last fall and hit the pavement. Tore up the grip and left end of the bar on my 09 T-Dub. Today I decided to rip the grip off, treat the rust that had started around the gash and protect the bar in the event of any future spills.

I installed open-ended grips and bought a pair of MSR Billet bar ends

Cycle Gear had repackaged their last set, so I have no instructions.

I am at a complete loss for how to install these things. There is the colored disc, a hex screw, a washer, and an aluminum barrel/nut that is cut at an angle about 30% down. The Cycle Gear guy told me screwing it in would cause the cylinder to expand inside my bar. Of course, that's not how this kind of end cap works--at least not on my bars. I have no way to hold the barrel in place while tightening the hex bolt, anyway.

I'm reading about people installing them on dirt bikes with Renthal bars (no instructions, though), so I don't think having a special bar is the issue. I suppose they could be designed for closed-end grips (as in you punch a hole in the rubber) but that doesn't make much sense because the point of these things is that you don't have to replace your grips after a lay-down. And why the angled cut?

EDIT: The barrel that goes in the bar is not nearly large enough to touch the walls, let alone hold tight. Tightening does cause the barrel edges to move away from the bolt, adding only about 1/8th to the width. Maybe they're designed for smaller bars. Even if that's the case, I don't know how one would secure the barrel while tightening the hex bolt.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

The barrel does not "expand".

The diagonal break in the barrel slides when you tighten the screw.

Loosen the screw till both parts of the barrel fit inside the handlebar, stick it in and tighten.

The barrel halves will "wedge" themselves to hold the plug in.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I think these are too small for my bars but I'll go give it another shot and post back.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, when fully tightened it just falls right out of the left side. Even if I got a larger size, it looks like I would have to remove the throttle tube to install on the right, as the tube isn't completely open-ended. That's more time consuming than replacing grips.

I'll head back for an exchange. I can get two pairs of grips and two bottles of grip glue for the same price anyway.

I would be interested in hearing about any specific brands (with links or product numbers, if anyone has them handy) for open-grip bar ends people are using on their TWs.

Thanks.

Go to Walmart, buy a roll of athletic tape and wrap the split ends and them place them in the handlbars.

That should snug them up really tight. That is what I did for the same dilemma.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Go to Walmart, buy a roll of athletic tape and wrap the split ends and them place them in the handlbars.

That should snug them up really tight. That is what I did for the same dilemma.

I like that. Simple and cheap. Much appreciated.

I'm reading another thread on cutting the end of the throttle tube off, which I might do later, but this sounds like a quick fix. EDIT: I'll do both, as, well... I have to.

Thanks.

Sponosred Links