TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Carb Jet Kit Arrived

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  elime 
#1 ·
I ordered a carburetor kit off ebay made by 6 Sigma Engineering. It was $39.95 plus $8 for S&H or make offer. I made an offer minus the S&H and it was accepted instantly. They asked for make, model, year, elevation where mostly ridden, and any modifications I have made to the intake or exhaust. I gave them all the info. I get an email thanking me for my purchase and explaining it will take a couple of days to make a kit specific to my needs. OK.

Well today it arrived. The main jets are installed with a screw driver instead of a wrench. The head of the jet is longer than the stock one and I wonder if it will clear the float bowl. It does look like the screw part is the right size and pitch.

The pilot jet looks completely different than what I remember and will it even fit? I don't know. I pointed an arrow at it with a "?" mark.

There are no gaskets except for a few very small o-rings. There is a drill and a wood screw and we all know what the wood screw is for.

And there are washers, or shims.

I have a feeling this kit is wrong. Opinions please!

Multiple pictures for your enjoyment! Getting a glare free picture was a "female dog"!

Package it came in:

The "before you open warning":

Multiple views of the parts package:

Several pages of reading. I wonder how much applies directly to a TW 200?

The more I think about it the more doubt I have about this kit. I wonder if I return it will I get my money back?

So, what do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've got my carb apart in the garage at the moment.. The main jets look like the brass sticks down further but it'll probably fit. The pilot jet looks goofy, like the tip is different all together. I'd send it back and buy OEM or use what you have.

What's wrong with what you're working with? I'm going back out to clean everything with piano wire ;-) my 40 pilot jet was plugged completely shut, but since I pushed wire through it it's totally fine. Nothing ever seems to be as nice as OEM stuff.

#3 ·
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the photos.

I believe those are Mikuni jets and not Teikei. They should work if the hole size is correct.

I tried a Mikuni jet a couple of years ago. It seemed to me that the threads on the jet were slightly different.

Don't force it it.

The shims in the photo look too thick, but I can't really tell from the picture.

The question mark does look like a pilot jet... but looks longer than the TW pilot jet.

I don't remember if you have the slide carb or the vacuum one... that will make a difference.

If you feel adventurous and like to experiment, give the kit a try.

However, I don't believe this will be a bolt-on 1.5 hp increase.

jb

#4 ·
Update: I contacted 6 Sigma and expressed my concerns that I had the incorrect main and pilot jets. They were very concerned and presented me with the option of refund or allowing them a second chance at the parts. I went for the second chance and have high hopes. They asked and I sent them pictures of the OEM main and pilot jets. They also added at my option I can get a refund anytime up to 45 days after purchase. I really believe they are trying to get it right. Reports to follow.

#6 ·
How did this turn out, did they send you some parts that worked out?

#8 ·
Personally, I think these guys have got it together. Wish I'd found them before I went through all the hassles of finding jets.

Be kind to them. I think they're doing what no other retailer will do.

Honestly, the entire project got put on the back burner. I had bought an ultra sonic cleaner and the kit and was ready to go to town but then the TW started running well and only lately has the idle started becoming a little erratic and a very high speed miss has returned, but everything in between is great! When the weather gets cold I will tear the carb apart, clean it, and install new parts.

As for the company I bought the kit from, I looked at the jets and said I felt that the leanest jet they sent was to rich. They, at no charge to me, sent me two leaner jets. They get an A+ for trying to keep me happy. I really believe the parts they sent will work but I have not tried them yet. Reports to follow in a few months.

#7 · (Edited)
The main jets look like the keihin main jets I found for my carb. Yes, flat screwdriver slot. Work fine.

The idle/slow jet looks like the Mikuni jet I found in my 40+ year stash of jets. It's a 45 and really improved my throttle response and starting.

Personally, I think these guys have got it together. Wish I'd found them before I went through all the hassles of finding jets.

Be kind to them. I think they're doing what no other retailer will do.

PS: If the main has a sort of star shaped K it is Keihin. A square insignia with a 1/4 square down in the corner of the larger square is a Mikuni.

#10 ·
BTW, the Keihin main jet they sent you is too small for the plastic cup that fits over the OEM main jet. But the choices are to stick with the single OEM 114 or to use the Keihin.

My bike at high altitude exhibited what seemed to be a high speed miss also. Actually seemed almost like a miss associated with the electrical. As it turns out, it was just too rich and a smaller (Keihin) main jet solved the problem.

Your problem could of course be different as there are other things that can cause a high speed miss.

#11 ·
As it turns out, it was just too rich and a smaller (Keihin) main jet solved the problem.
I had a similar experience with a high speed / wide open throttle miss and generally running poorly. I ended up replacing the original 114 jet with a new 114 jet and it cured the problem -- of course there was a long list of other things I tired before replacing the jet. I looked at the jet with a dissecting microscope and the hole in the center had corroded and was larger -- something you can't see without magnification.

Long story short, if you have an older bike with a WOT miss and black spark plugs replace the high speed jet first. My 2 cents worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.