tappet nut came loose
Close

600 miles torqued correctly, but its tighter now. any veterans ever experience this? Scared the shizer out of me today. I know my motor

I have heard of it happening before. Catch it early and it is no big deal. I make the nut a little bit to tight. The one foot pound (or whatever it is) the book calls for isn't enough. If really worried about it a drop of Blue Loctite is good.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Last Summer I was on a ride in the Bender Creek area in Idaho and I ended up, upside down in a creek bed. The engine stuck in a fast RMP. Apparently one of the tappet nuts was lose and spun off inside the head. The Tappet went out of adjustment and made a terrible racket. I imagined that the noise was yhe piston slapping around inside the jug. I got the TW running enough to get me back to the rig (6 miles).

When I got back to Boise I took it in to the dealer and anticipated a lengthly repair time because the shop had a pile of bikes ahead of me. The Service manager said that it would be several days until they could get into it and then order what ever parts were needed. About 4 days later I got a call from them and was told that the nut had spun off. They put in back on, adjusted the valves and it was good as new.

I was really glad that I had not totally trashed the motor. More great andventures were to be had.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This just happened to me about 500 miles after my last valve adjustment. I was doing 60 when it stopped making power. It was still running but as you can imagine it was tapping loudly. My intake valve and adjuster got mashed.

You can see where the valve stem is smashed by comparing them.

Here is the bad intake vavle

Here is the good exhaust valve

Smashe intake valve adjuster is on the left

Had the dreaded base gasket leak too so I pulled the cylinder and also found my oil ring was stuck.

Been with out my TW for TWO weeks waiting for the parts. Being T-Dubless is excruciating!!!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I had this happen to me too. Missed the shift from 1st to 2nd. Went into neutral and over-revved. Engine lost power and started to make a horrible noise - like I had just ran a gas tank full of nails.

When I found the issue, I re-installed the adjusters with loctite blue.

Oh and the hardest part? Finding that damn adjuster nut! It was in an oil passage.
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

Sponosred Links