Replacing the Stock Drive Chain
Close

My 2008 TW200 is needing a new chain. This doesn't come as a surprise to me, given the number of people who have mentioned the fast chain wear on this bike. Yeah, I've been lubing it regularly and keeping it as clean as possible, and maintaining the tension just as carefully. The bike has less than 2000 miles on it, and the sprockets have little if any visible wear, but the chain can be pulled away from the rear sprocket far enough to reveal a full tooth.

So here's my question: What brand/type of chain do I need for the longest life? While I'm at it, given that the sprockets look pretty good, must I replace them also? If so, I'm turning it over to an expert... the last bike I owned where I messed with anything having a gasket died from the treatment, proving that I'm not much of a mechanic. I do feel competent to replace just the chain, but if the case cover has to be pulled, a trained mechanic is going to do it.

O-ring type. Most seem to stick with the stock size, a 428.

This is what I went with:

Get the rear wheel up in the air, break the master link (a good pair of pliers works well), hook the new chain to the old one with the master and pull it around the front sprocket.

You may need a chain press to install the new master link (or be good with a vice grip and a small nut) remember the open part of the clip faces away from chain direction.

For longest life change sprockets at the same time, but sounds like for you that would be a dealer job.

I think the best value in a chain for a TW is the EK 428 SROZ o-ring chain. It is significantly chaper than the DID o-ring chain and is plenty strong enough for our bikes, about 1/3 stronger than the stock chain. RK also makes a good o-ring 428 chain at a fair price.

The advantage of an o-ring chain is you only have to lube it often enough to keep it from rusting, and chain adjustments become rare events, like about as often as you need to change the tire. When an o-ring chain starts needing adjustments on a frequent basis, it is time to replace it.

Chains and sprockets wear together. No exceptions. With 2000 miles on your current sprockets, your chain is at least 1/3 worn out, and so are your sprockets. Putting a new o-ring chain on those sprockets will cost you ~8,000 of service life, because the chain will quickly wear to match the sprockets. You'll have to decide for yourself if the cost of new sprockets is worth 8,000 miles of service life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ah, that's what I was afraid of. Gah. I should have changed that chain when the bike was new.

Well, I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see when they can get me in. Thanks for the recommendations on chains.

Sponosred Links