Old airbox boot.. new airbox boot.. still too short
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I ordered a new airbox boot under the promise of the forum that the new part was longer due to the old part shrinking.

I sat them next to one another and the new one is the exact same length. It is more stretchy so I can get a slightly better seal at the carb, but it's still about 3/8" too short.

Is there a plastic spacer available for the engine-to-carb mount that fits well? I'd like to shift the carb back a bit. I may have a spacer machined. I hate when things don't line up right.

I'll upload a photo later when I get home from work.
    1993 TW200

If you are using the stock carb and stock boots, it should be fine. I wonder if someone rotated the airbox boot on you?? Try rotating the airbox boot around in the airbox, because it is offset, rotating it makes a huge difference in it's "length" between the carb and airbox.

Adding a spacer between the carb and head may change the characteristics of the engine a little, could be good or bad??

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Ditto on rotating it. Or make sure your airbox hasn't been unbolted and slid back or something strange like that. Or someone hammered the carb into the manifold waaay too far somehow. I'd say just rotate it though. A little petroleum jelly helps it move and seal as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I installed it myself (the new boot) and it rotates 360 degrees. I have it at its longest setting. The airbox looks like it is in the only spot it can be. The engine seems to be in the only spot it can be, but I'm going to check the mounting bolts.

The frame isn't beat up or bent that I can tell.

should the boot (when new) slide right over the back of the carb? Mine just sits there touching it but not going over it at all. The intake boot is also new. That was my primary purchase (since my old one leaked air.)
    1993 TW200

I wonder if you have some other carb on there?? Perhaps someone swapped it out for something else?? It does seem odd that it is so short...

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Here are some images from earlier threads that show older, shrunken boots compared to new ones. It is surprising that your new one would be exactly the same size as your old one.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...h__1#entry1201

Maybe the "new" one has been sitting around for a long time.

Try turning it and it may align better. That is what happened when I replaced mine though the new one was a lot longer than the old one.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    I installed it myself (the new boot) and it rotates 360 degrees. I have it at its longest setting. The airbox looks like it is in the only spot it can be. The engine seems to be in the only spot it can be, but I'm going to check the mounting bolts.

The frame isn't beat up or bent that I can tell.

should the boot (when new) slide right over the back of the carb? Mine just sits there touching it but not going over it at all. The intake boot is also new. That was my primary purchase (since my old one leaked air.)

Just give the airbox a wiggle and see if it's bolted in securely or not. Slim chance it isn't. Same for the carb, see if it's pushed in on the motor side too far. A picture would help a lot if you can get us one.

I'll get some photos. My airbox is secure and doesn't move at all. The carb is seated properly into the rubber intake manifold (fits into the inner groove and the centering notch on top.)

I sat them side by side expecting the new one to be longer and it's identical in length to the one I removed. Only difference is stiffness. I doubt I could get the old one installed into the airbox now because it's too stiff. The new one will stretch over the carb if I have the help of another person to push it forward while I tighten the screw, but that doesn't seem ideal since I'm the only one ever working on the bike.
    1993 TW200

This is weird. You could try dipping the new boot in some boiling water for a minute or so to soften it up. It'll aid in getting it into the airbox. It may "stretch" the boot as well. Just we warned, once is starts to cool it will shirk down to its original state, so you only have a few minutes of working time.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links